• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Over the moon

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
With my latest file knife made from an old Simonds Nucut file. Pewter is from an old bowl from Goodwill and pins are 5/64“ bicycle spokes. Moon is a rough carving I did with the Dremel and a modified xacto knife blade. Finished with Fiebings med brown leather dye and Renaissance wax. Overall length is 8-3/8” and blade is 3/16” thick and 3-1/2” long and blued with Oxpho-blue. This blade was from a left over file end piece from another knife build so I used the Simonds logo in a creative way. Wonder how many “Never heard of Simonds knives before“ I’ll get! 😂 it even says Nu”Cut” 😆
See what I did there…..haha.

IMG_7490.jpeg
IMG_7492.jpeg
IMG_7493.jpeg

Last edited:
With my latest file knife made from an old Simonds Nucut file. Pewter is from an old bowl from Goodwill and pins are 5/64“ bicycle spokes. Moon is a rough carving I did with the Dremel and a modified xacto knife blade. Finished with Fiebings med brown leather dye and Renaissance wax. Overall length is 8-3/8” and blade is 3/16” thick and 3-1/2” long and blued with Oxpho-blue. This blade was from a left over file end piece from another knife build so I used the Simonds logo in a creative way. Wonder how many “Never heard of Simonds knives before“ I’ll get! 😂 it even says Nu”Cut” 😆

View attachment 273729View attachment 273730View attachment 273731
Sweet!!!!

Thanks everyone for the compliments and encouragement. Seems each one is an improvement and learning experience. I messed up the first pewter pour but it’s no big deal to remove the bolster. I just saw across it diagonally with a hack saw down to the hard tang, insert a flat screw driver in the cut slot and twist and it usually snaps free. Throw it back in the ladle and remelt. Easy peasy. I usually use several wraps of blue painters tape to make the “dam” that holds the pewter and works well. The jig I made makes grinding the bevels much more controlled and repeatable and is adjustable for the blade angle.

DAE73176-8CE6-4251-ABB4-DAE0FF160717.jpeg

080C9667-1740-4052-B857-8B64BAA6FE81.jpeg

5DB960FC-3372-4618-BA22-A20E071AF725.jpeg

View attachment 273729View attachment 273730View attachment 273731
Wow, good looking work.

With that level,, why use "bicycle spokes",(?) And an antler?
Absolutely stunning and beautiful work,
The "moon" thing you tried to get,(?) eh, not so much a moon is it.(?)
You posted, critique offered, take it as is,,

Thanks for the compliment necchi. The reason I use bicycle spokes is simple, I have a lot of them left over from my sons bent rim. They make great rifle/pistol stock and bolster pins. They are 2.0mm and fit a 5/64” drilled hole perfectly. I think they are 1045 steel. Same with the antler. It’s an easy medium to work with. I can go through the pet store and pick and choose the right piece for my projects, heck they even save out certain shaped pieces for me now! The reaction I get from people when they hear that it’s made from a chew toy antler, bicycle spokes and an old file is priceless. It just makes for a good story and it’s fun and challenging to make something by hand using whats on hand.

Regarding my folk art work, I use the word “art” exceedingly lightly given this forums talent pool, well it’s very, very subjective and definitely in the eye of the beholder! 😂

I like your creative knife grinding angle holder. That knife is a dandy and I bet it will hold an edge well! :cool: :thumb:. A lot of the newer files are now only case hardened so they will not make into a good knife. Is that Buck Tool grinder a 2" X 42"? Is it a one speed only? I think Walter Sorrells rated it fairly high for a 2" X 42" grinder for the price.

Back