• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

crockett rifle lock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TeutonicHeathen

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I just received my new to me traditions crockett rifle last night. This is my first small bore sidelock. I like it my only complaint is the lack feels stiff to me and not as smooth as my tc hawken lock. Is there a way to smooth the lock? I feel the hammer is hard to cock back and it when it clicks to half cock it dont make a for sure sound like it clicks in place. Same way when I from half to full cock, no sound like it is easily locking up. Should I remove the lock and make sure it is inlet enough and polish the internals of the lock? Any advice would help

If your lock doesn't feel right to you , I would definitely remove it (carefully, just as you will do to clean and lube it.) and just inspect the internal workings. See if there might be a shaving or burr somewhere. See if the sear screw is too tight, or other screws are loose. Check to see if there are parts rubbing wood. Somewhere. You can candle soot the lock and re install to check for rubbing. If there is something that looks definitely wrong you might want to check into what warranty might cover. I wouldn't do much other than this until you find out about warranty. As you know the lock is very important to the safety of the rifle. Unless you are experienced in lock repair, it might be a good idea to leave the fix to a black powder smith. That said, it might be something simple. Visual inspection will probably tell you which way to go. Good luck.

I'd first make sure the lock is clean. Take it out of the stock and use either automobile brake cleaner or carburetor cleaner that comes in a spray can to thoroughly flush it out. If you have an air compressor, blow it out with compressed air. If you don't have compressed air available, don't worry about it because the stuff that you use to flush your lock will evaporate very quickly. When it is dry, lightly oil it with any good gun oil or light machine oil such as 3 in 1. Replace it in the stock and see if it feels any better, Many lock problems can be solved with a good cleaning and oiling. If that doesn't do it, it will be time to consider taking it apart and polishing all of the contact surfaces. You may also look into finding a lighter main spring if the cocking action is too stiff.

Another thing to check is to see if it is fitting in the lock mortise properly and not rubbing somewhere. Often times, people don't know what they are doing and try to tighten a lock bolt like they were torqueing an automobile engine head bolt. Over tightening will cause the lock to rub on the inside of the lock mortise and can cause all sorts of problems. Never over tighten the lock bolt, All it needs is to be gently snug. If you find the lock to be rubbing on any part of the lock mortise, you will have to carefully shave off wood where the lock is rubbing. Do not remove any more wood than is absolutely necessary. You shave and scrape, you do not cut or, God forbid, use a Dremmel tool to remove wood.

It'll give you some fiddling to do while the weather is bad. Good luck and keep us posted on how it is going.

I'd be sure to lube the little shelf that the top arm of the main spring rests against. The lock plate is soft, and without adequate lube it's going to wear right there and your troubles will only be starting. Lube helps cut down on the cocking effort, as it also saves you from a litany of broken main springs in the future. Can you guess how I know?

This isn't about your lock! But about your RamRod and the Acceries you might buy! Get a long jag to use for seating the ball and for cleaning! I did and I don't have the hang up problem that a lot of people talk about!

Back