• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Could you fix this, how?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The underside of the barrel will have the makers name in India. You can contact them by email. picture the gun and ask what threads/or cost of a new bolt. It isn't like they made up a thread on their own. Probably a standard metric. as for the repair. Once boofered, it is difficult to repair without deconstructing the whole thing. You could even ask the Indian maker about a stock. Frankly, cutting the thing cleanly will be difficult and the kerf lost makes an invisible repair unlikely. What glue was used. Is it something that loosens with heat? put the wood in a low temp oven until your can pull it apart. I would try to pull the nail and replace with an epoxy covered dowel. Tis a bummer, but hey it's free.

Heating the nail head with a soldering iron could weaken the glue enough that you might be able to remove it (if you could get a grip on the head with locking pliers, which might take a little careful excavation).

I don’t make such repairs myself with dowels or screws. Solid dowels can lead to a ‘dry joint’ in a blind hole, as putting the dowel in forces the glue out when the air the dowel displaces escapes. I now use graphite tubes, like broken carbon arrow shaft material.

I further cut a few holes along the OD perimeter to make it look a tad like ‘swiss cheese’, but only a few holes. The holes form a mechanical lock between the wood, epoxy and tubing. Plus the tube, being hollow, allows air to escape so you end up with a totally full or staturated epoxy bond.

True, but, grooved dowels and plenty of glue make dry gluing a non-issue. Even sanding a small flat spot on the side of the dowel will aid in glue dispersion.

I'm actually not a fan of epoxy anyway . Titebond III is a WOOD glue, and it will bond 2 pieces of wood together better that ANY epoxy. I AM a master carpenter. Wasted 40+ years of my life doing that.

Cut the head off the screw and glue the cap to the handle. Quick, easy, cheap. Shoot. Enjoy.

Remove the triggerguard and buttcap (if separate) and glue the stock pieces together. When the glue has set, drill up from the end of the butt to span the crack, glue in a dowel and allow to set. Reinstall hardware. If you feel it worth the time, strip, stain and refinish the stock.

By golly BH, we agree on sumptin. ;-) Just wat I would have said if I'd gotten here first. No money lost with that repair and it would be sturdy. I feel like repairs, if done properly, can simply be a picture of part of the life of a gun. Of course, a nice gun damaged still makes me cry. BTW, I recommend a good wood glue, my go to is TiteBond II. TB III leaves an ugly brown line.

Back