• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cost to build

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was in your shoes a few months ago, wife wanted something for me for Christmas. I got a hair in my butt to build a flinter. Knew nothing, I mean nothing about FL's or building one, so naturally I looked at Traditions,,, then then forums and was steered away with force from them! Ended up with a Chambers "kit" which is considerably more work than a Kibler, but more choices. All in and done, I'm sure I'm easy $1,000 in outside of rifle. That includes bench/vise for basement so I could work inside...

Long story short, I highly recommend building one. Mine certainly is going to have warts, maybe even leprosy, but it'll mean more to me than any of my quality high power rifles. And you will likely build another anyway.... And all of those tools can be used for other thing, so really your investing.

I agree with 54ball on this one. Education would be invaluable on this. I would gladly spend a week's vacation a go somewhere to to learn beside someone who can teach me. We try to build a gun with books and videos where an apprentice spent years learning.

I check out flea markets, pawn shops, garage sales for tools. I have all I need but enjoy discovering quality stuff, odd tools, etc.

Don't discount the possibility of buying used tools. Between Ebay, Craigslist, and garage sales I have found some amazing deals on old tools.

PJH, with your response I would suggest you look at the different parts kits available and their costs. If you think you can buy the stuff needed to complete a rifle, there would be a lot of pleasure in shooting a piece you put together. I would look at it as a disposable expense like going on a vacation, buying a project car, or taking a class. As a retiree it is something you can do for your own enjoyment. I suspect you have some of the tools you need and part of the fun is finding stuff needed as a bargain or making what you need.

This is no longer a cheap hobby to get in to. I spend an easy 1K on just about every gun I build if I use a nice piece of wood. Even with a plain piece of wood you're looking at $750 building from a blank, that isn't even considering tools.
Probably a Kibler kit would be the cheapest way to go these days and you'll end up with a great looking gun when you're done.

I've been shopping Pectonica River for a trade gun and $750 is right on with shipping for their kit and least expensive stock. Their stock is inlet though.

The trade gun is one of the easiest builds, but you will still have 1-150 hours in it. The side plate is a little work to inlet, otherwise not much of any complexity. One of the hardest parts is taking enough wood off of forestock, I didn’t on mine I built in ‘13, it’s hard to get them thin enough, you just feel nervous about how thin it gets.

Back