• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cossack Guns & Accoutrements

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was making some new combination photos for another interested source, so I thought I would post them on the Forum too. Just in case there were any "Cossack" type fans out there. :haha:
I recently posted the rifle. And I posted the pistol a couple years ago I believe. So here's a bunch of pics showing the two guns with a combination of original and replica accoutrements.
Hope you enjoy and thanks for looking. Rick. :hatsoff:
1) Original Caucasian Rifle in .50 caliber with 8 groove rifling. In working, shooting order.
2) Original Caucasian Pistol, smooth bore in .50 caliber. New steel liner from Bob Hoyt. In working, shooting order. With belt frog.
3) Original Kindjal Dagger that's still strong and sharp. With belt frog.
4) Original Priming Flask done in the Persian manner. In working order. All hand made from iron.
5) Waist Belt. Buckle is original .84 silver and signed by the maker. Late 18th - early 19th Century. New adjustable belt made by T.C. Albert.
6) Replica Cartridge Pouch. Copied from one of only 2-3 surviving originals. Can be worn on waist or over the shoulder. Zaporazhian Cossack style. Made by Eryk Jadaszewski.
7) Caucasian Gazris. Used to carry pre-measured powder charges. (Similar to European matchlocks). Wood containers are new made. Niello Silver Caps are originals.
8) Cossack style Cap. I just had to do this. :haha: New made from genuine curly lamb fleece imported from Poland. Styled in the old manner. Fits great, nice and warm. :haha: Also made by Eryk Jadaszewski.
9) Sash Material. I plan on using one of these two to have a sling made for the rifle. 1" wide. They're genuine wool made in Turkey with a Turkish pattern. Can't decide if I want to use the blue and white, or the gold and red. :hmm: :haha: Which one do you guys like?

Way back in the day, we'd have said, "Cool, neat and groovy!" Down here in Texas it'd be, "That there's purdier'en a whole litter of speckled puppies!"
Absolutely love what you've been able to do to put together such a set of weapons and accouterment. Not sure if the the cap is the type that devolved down to the typical Russian 'papaha' of the 19th century but even as late as the Napoleonic era, the Caucasian cossacks were noted wearing chain mail armor costing 1,000 lamb skins...not sure what that is in rubels, but can't be cheap!
A for which color strap to use, that'd probably depend on what color tunic to match it too...I'd go with red/gold, personally! :wink: :thumbsup:

Nice composition. Thanks for sharing.

So how old are they? Appear to be an Eastern miquelet lock of sorts but what's that big block of metal under the pan doing so big -- any internal parts there!?

Guess you need a saber now?

Can you describe the powder bottles in a little detail (red dots?) and how and where they go? Ball?

LOVE that powder flask.

Hi Wes. All I can say is..Thank God for Texas!!! :haha: I get there often on business.
Thanks for the kind compliments. It took a while to assemble all these toys. :haha:
The hat is styled as more of a Circassian type variation. The Tailor said he could not locate the correct lamb fleece here in the U.S. So he had to order it from a source in Poland. But it has that thick fleece with just the right curl that produced the look I imagined. :haha:
You are so right about the chain mail. The two photos below were taken in 1876!! Note the use of chain mail, shields, and miquelet rifles and pistols. This, well into the BP Cartridge period. Progress was especially slow in this part of the World. But it is really hard to believe chain mail was utilized this late in history.
OK. I have one vote for the Red/Gold. :haha: Thanks again, Rick. :hatsoff:

Hi Alden. Thanks for the compliment.
The rifle and pistol are early to mid 19th Century. The rifles were heavily Persian influenced. The lock on the rifle is a typical Persian style miquelet. The lock on the pistol is a Circassian style miquelet.
The individual wood containers (garzi)simply contained a pre-measured powder charge. They were carried in a pouch, waist belt, and later on in individual fabric holders on the vest of clothing. During the last quarter of the 19th Century - after the adoption of center fire guns - the garzi on the vest was continued on uniforms for decorative/style purposes only. See below. Not sure what you mean by "red dots" ? Thanks again, Rick. :hatsoff:

My Mom was from the St.Louis area and still have some family out that way. May have to stop some day and see your babies. Those pictures are great. I've read some of the startled descriptions from British sources from about 1815 but looks like they hung on to the old styles a lot longer than that! If the dark blue kaftan, or demi-kaftan...depending on length, is what you're going with,I might have to change my vote to blue/white! :wink:
Did manage to find one c.1812 illustration, and though black & white the source shows the Caucasian cossack with bow and arrow plus what appears to be a carbine length gun and the description, "Caucasian, c.1812, wearing medieval dress of a mail coat, mail coif underneath the helmet, and plate armour on the forearms. The short-sleeved coat shown in this print is red with silver lace edging, and the trousers dark blue." Unfortunately, they don't credit the illustration's source. Your collection is outstanding, none the less...look forward to seeing pictures of you in your "outfit"! :haha:

Hi Wes. YES, by all means, if you're in the area, feel free to stop by. Lots of toys to play with. And I always seem to have 1-2 new projects going on. This hobby is way to addictive. :haha:
Actually, I had not planned on a complete outfit. :haha: But now that you mentioned it, would not take much more to accomplish. Guess that would make an interesting impression while filming a shooting session (?). :haha: I'll have to put some more thought into that. :hmm: :haha:
The Middle East/Balkans, etc. continued to use the flintlock virtually unchanged for some 200+ years. The East Indians still utilized their matchlocks through much of the 1800's. But the use of the chain mail in the Caucasus this late in the 19th Century is a real mystery. :idunno:
Anyway, thanks for the comments. Rick. :hatsoff:

I finally got around to checking this thread out
and I must say that you just get better each post.
I certainly am impressed with your ability to find
all this information to accompany "your toys"...
I think the chain is like anything they could find
to add pile on....like a 'free-for-all'...or some
thing....

Hi Bill and Wulf! Thanks for the comments. This was a fun project to assemble. Can't wait for the weather to clear up so I can test fire that rifle. It will be interesting to see how accurate the original rifling is. Thanks again. Rick. :hatsoff:

p.s. I'll have another Moroccan Snaphaunce long gun to post as soon as I get the barrel back from Bobby Hoyt. Much nicer than the one I previously posted a while back. :wink:

ricky i believe ive said this before but your posts are the reason i joined this forum! HUGE fan of the cossack/ottoman/balkan miquelet and style.
im currently in eastern europe and seeing a ton of these in museums but none for sale

I just saw this post! Must have missed it when you first started the thread. I have a friend and hunting/shooting buddy who is Ukrainian descent, and his whole family is very much into their heritage. I have to send him a link to this site.
Great stuff.

I knew a fellow who was in the service (US) and was stationed in Ethiopia in the '60s - waay out in the wilds (monitoring Soviet Bloc Air Force radio transmissions. Chain mail armor was in common use, and he saw actual combat to the death by men armed only with swords.
He also once encountered, on a mountain path a noble warrior in chain mail armor, seated on a white steed (horse/mule?) and accompanied by an entourage of several men running before and behind. They were armed with edged weapons, and carried His Lordship's lance, as well as a modern rifle (bolt action, as I recall). As my friend said: "I didn't know who he was, but he was obviously someone of importance. I stepped off the path, and let them pass."

also, here is what an actual cossack pistol holster looks like
Ramonov_vano_ossetin_northern_caucasia_dress_18_century_zpsf8e35255.jpg

and that belt looks a bit thicker than what ive seen

d7df034ea7048aa561d140e70c53cf51_zpsb3aaf8f2.jpg

and here are just some more goodies

chechen-cossacks-wedding-party-group-everett_zps988065a6.jpg

6668541_zps65708eb7.jpg

Hi Cyten. As long as you're over there in the old Eastern Block, maybe you can bring back some "souvenirs"? :haha:
The rifles seldom come up for sale at auctions. And when they do, usually at BIG $$$$. That's why I picked this one up when I had the opportunity. I still have not test fired it yet, but it's on the to-do list this summer. Trying to arrange a video of the shooting session.
Thanks for the comments. Rick. :hatsoff:

Hi Grumpa. Thanks for the comment. Hope your buddy enjoys the Link. :thumbsup:
Also, great story!! It's amazing how long they continued the use of chain mail and leather clad shields - along with their miquelet guns.
Thanks again, Rick. :hatsoff:

Cyten: WOW!! Thanks for the additional photos. Great additions to my library! That's the first photo of a holster I've seen for these thin pistols. Even has a flap. :hmm: Might have to have one of those made now that I've finally seen one. :haha:
That belt and accessories look like it could be Turkish or Afghan. But ? as you know there was such a cross over of influences.
Thanks again. Rick. :hatsoff:

Back