• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1822 Caucasian Smoothbore Miquelet

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cyten

Eastern Miquelets
Reaction score
This smoothbore from Dagestan (southern Russia) is marked with the barrel maker "Haji Mustafa", dated 1822 (1238 Hijri) on the barrel along with "Masha'ala" (what God has willed) and "Master of Hikri(?) Muhammed Son Ali" on the tang. The barrel was made in Crimea (disputed territory of Ukraine/Russia). The lock has the maker "Master Ibrahim" engraved on the side and "Host Adil Khan" on the bottom. Adil Khan was a ruler in Dagestan who fought against the Russians during the Caucasian War. If my understanding of "host" is correct, this gun was made for his army. However, Adil Khan died in 1822 as well.
Like most Caucasian guns, this is adorned with niello silver work and has an ivory buttplate on its almost pool cue shaped stock. What is very interesting about this example is that it is a smoothbore, the vast majority of these long guns are rifled. I believe these barrel bands are 20th century replacements made in the village of Kubachi as they are almost identical to other examples I have handled in person.

1822smoothbore.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back