• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Correcting point of balance

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello,
Recently started building a Scottish Herron butt and it’s moving along well but I’ve come into an issue with the weight. I’m using a .50 colerain barrel that starts as 15/16 hexagonal and then transitions to the wedding band then a straight round. The stock is hard maple and it already weights a ton. Trying to shoulder it is very hard. It isn’t completely thinned down yet but even once it is I still feel like it’ll be very front heavy which I don’t want. I have heavy guns as is but I feel like this thing is going to rival my sharps in terms of weight. Any ideas to move the point of balance closer to me? I debated casting lead into a cavity in the stock but I’m sure that’ll destroy the stock because of the heat. Thanks!

Last edited:
I use the lead shot idea in modern shotguns. It works. I don’t know much about the Scottish guns, but I was under the impression all woodwork was slimmed down to a minimum, a slim fore end may help balance. Or just carry a musket rest….😀

Latest posts

Back