• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

cornbread

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trina

40 Cal.
Reaction score
The post down below got me to thinking about cornbread recipes... here is the question.. how do you tweak your recipes?...

I occasionally add canned chile's, sometimes cheese.

I like to add a little sourdough starter to mine. Sometimes I add an extra egg and lost of brown sugar for a desert bread. I love cornbread!

Heres mine. I C- sourdough,2 C- cornmeal,2eggs,1-fourth C-oil,tsp salt,tsp baking soda,2-Tbsp sugar,about 1 and half cups milk, bake in cast iron skillet 375* for 25 mins Dilly

Chili powder or flakes can add a bit o' heat. Not to start a tangent, I also like to add 1/2 of a box of Jiffy cornbread mix to the cake mix on a dump cobbler...it adds texture.

:v

Cookie,
I'm not a big raisin fan but my wife is
so I occasionaly add those to the mix. I also have
added chopped pistochio(sp) nuts a couple of
times and I really liked it that way.
snake-eyes :hmm:

After the sweet corn gets too gummy for the table, I leave what's left on the stalk to "finish" like the farmers do theirs. After it's dried, I grind it into cornmeal and use it in my recipes. I get lots of compliments.

I also add a few Tbs of brown sugar to the regular recipe.

-----------
Soaring Spirit
Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

Me and the Mrs. like to put a couple spoonfulls of honey in the middle of cornbread before baking. Keeps it moist and changes the flavor, depending on the kind of honey.

Just an opinion....

Legion

Most Southerners don't traditionally sweeten cornbread, but I have been known to add cream corn and cayenne pepper, then use beer as the liquid. This works great for hushpuppies with a little chopped onion added, too. Grandma always added a little mayonaise to hers for moistness.
Slash

WOW that is almost a sin!!!!
I just add molassess to mine, after it is toasted over an open fire, then buttered.... :rotf:
My best regards
Loyalist dawg :thumbsup: :hatsoff:

Its also darn good adding cracklins (pigskins) to cornbread to make 'cracklin bread'! :thumbsup:

Davy

this has been a really interesting thread.. fun to see how other folks make cornbread and the little things they add to make it special...

I have a real grain grinder, but you could use an old coffee grinder (one of those little electric things that grinds just enough for a pot). You would probably have to grind the corn at 1/4 c a time, but for a try or two it would be fine. Another option is your blender. When I first started, I used that, but it isn't any where near so satisfactory as the coffee grinder - or, of course, the real grain grinder. Something I never tried, but the indians sure did and made a lot of ground corn - mortar and pestle.

----------
Soaring Spirit
Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

A Buddie and I were camped at 10,000 feet.....I had a cornbread recipe that required an egg......we had no eggs........I was using my steamer and added time for the altitude.

I was the best tasting sponge that I have ever eaten. :rotf: :rotf:

No-BS

I like to add a little extra water and let the cornmeal soak overnight. I've also tried buying extra-fine ground cornmeal. Buying fresh ground Cornmeal was a simple task living in the colonies but out here in Indian country, grismills are few and far between.

Regards
Wounded Knee (Colorado Territories)

Back