• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

corn meal?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M.D. said:
Well that may be what your doing but I've never seen nor heard of a top target shooter that uses bullets or paper cartridges. They all use balls and filler seated as far out as they can make them and unless you shoot clean or in the high 90s regularly than your load is a handy cap to top accuracy. MD

The first year that I went to Phoenix I based my revolver loading learnings on what I read here. After struggling for some time, a man came down and said, "you do not have a clue on what you are doing at all, it's your first time here I can see it".

He spent an hour educating me on what I needed to do to shoot and shoot well. After he finished, he said, take my components, follow what you have learned and go shoot. He said he would be on the trap range and please return my things and he was gone.

I found him later that day to return his things and my shooting had improved substanially with his guidance.

M.D. brings sage advice, I watch the Masters and High Masters and they do as he says. My wife wathces the top shooters and she shares her learnings from watching them.

If you can not shoot a minimum of 97 at 25 yards and 85 at 50 yards you will never be a Master shooter nor a winner.

Never practice pistol shooting at 25 yards, matches are won at 50 yards, not at 25.

The revolver is harder to master than are the other pistols.

Richard Eames said:
The first year that I went to Phoenix I based my revolver loading learnings on what I read here.

Glad to hear we were such a big help.
:rotf:

Be sure to let us know if you need any more. :grin:

True story, the 50yard line winnows out the less hardy shooters in a hurry! It's mostly a mind game though as all shooting is more between the ears once you have a good gun, load and technique ,than anything else.
The target subtends the same amount of sight picture and once you get that through your head it begins to dawn on you that good 50 yards scores are possible.
In the group I shoot with it will take a mid to high 90s at 25 and a low to mid 80s at fifty to win.
I don't win much any more with all the good shooters up and coming. We have some teenagers that have beaten me more than once and shoot in the 90's. Good for them and may they continually improve. MD

MD is dead on the money. You won't find paper cartridges being used at the World Championships, but you will find filler in use by 95% of the shooters.

I concur with the comments on handgun shooting at 50 yards, it can be a truly humbling experience.

Having said that I tend now to shoot more at 50 yards in practice than 25 yards. Definitely start at 25 yards, keep em all in the black, then shoot at 50 yards and if you can keep 'em all in the black ask the best pistol shots you can find to help you refine your technique.

I've personally found the not only the top pistol shooters but pistol shooters in general to be extremely forthcoming and helpful as well as encouraging to the newer shooter pistol shooters.

Latest posts

Back