• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cooper .31 DA

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Temptation - get thee behind me.

Went to the local gun show this afternoon. Spotted a Cooper .31 cal double action pocket pistol. Price? $300. Collector value? Probably none, since it had been re-blued and the grips refinished. However, everything functioned correctly, and the bore seemed decent. I thought about it seriously.

Tried to get one myself on gunbroker but the reserve was just way too high, even though the offerings were in good shape. I've always thought the Cooper was ripe for a repop from uberti or pietta, I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

yesterday i looked in my 2007, 28th edition of the 'blue book of gun values' and couldn't find anything called Cooper .31 DA under the cooper firearms of montana - just rifles.

also, there's nothing listed in the 'modern black powder arms' 5th (2007) edition either.

any suggestions for where else it might be.. i'm always interested in seeing how some of these appreciate (or depreciate) over time.

:hatsoff:
~dg~

LeMat1856 said:

yesterday i looked in my 2007, 28th edition of the 'blue book of gun values' and couldn't find anything called Cooper .31 DA under the cooper firearms of montana - just rifles.

also, there's nothing listed in the 'modern black powder arms' 5th (2007) edition either.

any suggestions for where else it might be.. i'm always interested in seeing how some of these appreciate (or depreciate) over time.

:hatsoff:
~dg~
You need a blue book for antique guns. Border's used to have them before they closed up shop. IIRC the old cooper arms was in NY.

My copy of Flayderman's Guide shows pictures of the Cooper pistols and gives the 2007 value estimate.

For those without this book, just imagine a pistol that looks like a open top Colt (like the 1849) with a very large trigger guard and trigger.

These guns were double action so they could be cocked and fired or just fired by pulling the trigger.

Originally they were made in Pittsburgh, Pa with the later production being done in Philadelphia, Pa.

The .31 cal Pittsburgh pistols in Good condition were worth $375-$475. In Fine condition their value ranged from $1200 to $1500.

The .36 Navy in Good condition was worth $525 to $600 and $1500 to $1600 in Fine condition.

yes, that's an excellent photo, and i too thank you.

however, it sure looks like a knock-off of a colt if i've ever seen one.. how did they deal with copywrite infringement back then ?

~dg~

:thumbsup: :rotf:
cynthialee said:
LeMat1856 said:

yes, that's an excellent photo, and i too thank you.

however, it sure looks like a knock-off of a colt if i've ever seen one.. how did they deal with copywrite infringement back then ?

~dg~
20 paces, turn and shoot?
:haha:

LeMat1856 said:
how did they deal with copywrite infringement back then ?

~dg~
They were made in the late 1850's thru 1869 and Colts patent on much of the design had run out by then.

They also did NOT have any roll engraving on their cylinder and of course the double action trigger was totally different.

I'm sure old Sam Colt did a lot of grumbling and if there was a way he could have sued them he surly would have.

Hell! He sued other gun companies for less than this look alike.

Zonie,

i thank you for yet another history lesson, and this time you've finally convinced me to get a copy of flydermann's guide.. so, i picked up the 2001 version for $8.50 from alibris online books.

that should help cut down on the number of 'tarded questions i ask. :wink:

~dg~

Flayderman's Guide is a wealth of information!

The information doesn't change much over the years so your copy will be a great reference about everything except the estimated market value of the guns.

It's only shortcoming is it doesn't mention much if anything about foreign made guns unless they were purchased by the US in very large quantities.

Back