• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A themed set of frontier goods

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LaBonte

Passed On
Reaction score
The idea behind this set of goods, was to take a whiteman made item and deco it up Indian and/or Metis style - a not an untypical mixture of cultures/goods during the 1850''s period.
The first piece was a circa Mexican loop style knife sheath for a small antler handled Bowie with an antler grip set off with wrought iron fittings. The beadwork on the upper brain tan cuff is in the style of the Southern Cheyenne, while the lower floral beadwork which is of a Metis style, is sewn onto a rawhide over wrap. I also added the rawhide wrap decorated with brass tacks on the 6" bladed Bowie knife.Wrapped around the grip just above the guard is a braintan thong attached to the sheath which is weighted on the end with several brass and glass beads the wrapped thong makes an easy to use one handed security strap.
gwf-2010-017-001.jpg

Next came the first companion piece - a tawed sheepskin shot pouch with a hand made domed brass button, a rawhide repaired powder horn, and antler powder measure. An eastern made piece it got a bit of local color - the beaded "ramshorn" on the flap - after it went west.
sheep-bag-horn-1-2011.jpg

The third piece of the set is this percussion trade rifle display. The rifle is a re-stocked Dixie Gunworks 45 caliber "Lancaster" rifle that I traded into a few years ago. Over time I first refinished it using Aqua Fortis for the stock color which I then finished off with a period type Linseed oil based varnish. I then added several rawhide "repairs", brass tacks, and a beaded horse hair dangle, all decorative items commonly found on hard used Indian trade guns like the popular Leman's of the time, which this piece was made to represent. I then shot it some and let it hang around, again getting that feeling that there was unfinished business.
Then one day while going to pick up the mail I noticed ths chunk of board where there used to be a sawmill. I thought A HA! grabbed the board and varnished it up. Mi amigo, Jerry Rodri of 9 Tongs Forge then forged me up some hooks for the rifle. I wrapped the hooks with some rawhide for damage control along with some beaded horse hair dangles and a few brass tacks. I also added an antler "hook" in the center for hanging a shot pouch and powder horn (the horn pictured is not part of the final set - see the bag and horn above). The final result was this:
aging-2011-dear-1.jpg

aging-2011-dear-2.jpg

aging-2011-dear-3.jpg

The final piece of the puzzle so to speak is this strike-a-light pouch and striker set. The idea here was to more or less emulate the larger shot pouch, so I made it out of the same tawed sheepskin with the same beaded "ramshorn" motif and a bit more beading. Instead of a hand made brass button I used a quite common cast pewter button.
Then while still in the design stage, I got a wild hair and decided to add the beaded pocket on the front to hold the striker which is shown on top of the pouch in the second image - the beadwork mimics the Cheyenne style beadwork on the sheaths cuff above. Finally I added some beaded tassels with tin cones and buffalo hair tufts along with a beaded belt loop. To finsh off I fixed up a can with char cloth and a chunk of flint. All of the strikers shown are again by mi amigo, Jerry Rodri of 9 Tongs Forge and those are just a few of the styles available - and they spark like crazy!
pouch-striker-2011-dear-1.jpg

pouch-striker-2011-dear-2.jpg

All items were given a final aged finish - used but not abused.
Anyway that's it. Being of mixed blood heritage myself, I wanted to build something that reflected that mix of heritages and cultures so often found along the American frontier during the mid-1850's.
Whether I succeeded or not I'll leave up to the observer.....
PS Unfortunately I do not have a good picture of the final set - just use your imagaination to envision it. Also while this has mainly wound up as a man cave display, all parts are fully functional and could be used as originally designed..

Chuck-
Your work is identifiable from a mile off.
OUTSTANDING...........and hypnotic! :thumbsup:

Great display and incredible talent. :thumbsup: Best use of a Dixie Lancaster I have ever seen. :grin:

Chuck, I have to echo Mike: The depths of your skills and talents never cease to amaze me. It's not just the mastery of so many forms, but your ability to see them coming together with such harmony, and then making the magic actually happen. It's so unusual!
When I think of the truly blessed artists and craftsmen who share their work here regularly -- you, and Mike Brooks, Roy Stroh, Wick Ellerbe, the late Mike Ameling -- it makes this an amazing Web site.
Thank you for sharing.

From the first photo, I recognized the work. I was thinking, "That's got to be Chuck Burrow's work." Then, when I see someone calling you "Chuck", I knew I had nailed it. Always love seeing your stuff and appreciate the descriptions of what you were thinking when you make it. Always appreciated.

Now, if I can just figure out your antiquing process... ;)

A Fantastic Display of Master Craftsmanship.....A unique Style all your own.You have a great eye for backdrops & photography as well. :bow: :bow: :bow: As others have said your work is very indetifiable and always a pleasure to look at. I really like the gun rack its sorta what i've had in mind for some time. I'm still looking for that special piece of wood.I just hope mine turns out 1/3 as good as yours did. Thanks for posting. :thumbsup:

Not only do the items represent time, knowledge, and craftsmanship, but so do the photos as well...composition, lighting, fine grain showing texture, etc.
:hatsoff:

Absolutely fantastic workmanship - and eye-poping photos!! The antique finishing is wonderful. Thanks for sharing. :thumbsup:

I have to echo what Bill says here. For skills I don't have, there is a wealth of top-notch craftsmen on this Forum who do have the skills. Gunsmiths, Leathersmiths, Hornsmiths, Firearm history/knowledge, the list goes on. It continues to amaze me some peoples eye-to brain-to hand skills. That's what makes this Forum fun - and valuable for me.
Again, great looking gear. Wonder if Chuck does work for others? Rick.

Glad ya'll enjoyed the look see and if it inspires others so much the better.

Mike - you're comment gave me a good laugh and I have to agree, it's the best looking Dixie Lancaster I've ever seen - I even "amazed" myself at how good it came out. Actually this one shot pretty good as long as I did my part.

Tom Knighton said:
Always love seeing your stuff and appreciate the descriptions of what you were thinking when you make it. Always appreciated.
Now, if I can just figure out your antiquing process... ;)
Tom - the basic process of aging is basically a matter of accelerating the natural aging process with the use of acids, stains, etc. A few dents here and there and then smoothing them out to get that worn and well handled look. Also looking at older "naturally" aged goods ofa ll kinds is a good way to get the feel of what it should look like. Hanging it out in the weather (sun and wind mostly) for a few days also helps mellow the newness. It's not a simple 1,2,3 step process but one that IMO takes a bit of time - for instance when adding stains and doing the finish I may add some, then more or less remove them, add sme finish and rub/strip it back down and re-do, etc.

For leather this article is a good start: http://www.wrtcleather.com/1-ckd/tutorials/aging-leather-zurl.jpg

PS just to keep the facts straight, the project did not start out intentionally - the "theme" just grew over time

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back