• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cooler free cooking...?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

asalufa

32 Cal.
Reaction score
When I've camped in the past, I've nearly always done car camping, and had ice readily available to refill the cooler when necessary. But I want to start making the transition towards camping and cooking in a way that wouldn't involve that much "stuff", especially at rendezvous, and I'd really like to ditch the cooler entirely. I think I've got a decent idea of what sorts of food could go without refrigeration for a couple of days when it's not too hot- I know those brutally hot days change the equation, so lets assume spring/fall type weather. Under those sorts of circumstances, I think I could use/store eggs, breads, crackers, waxed cheeses, fresh fruits and veggies, pretty much anything dried, grains, etc for at least a couple days. Canned items are ok, although less than ideal because of the trash that comes along with them.

I'm trying to put together meal ideas that don't require refrigeration. Many of the food ideas in the "recipes" forum seem to be for cooking with refrigeration and/or freshly killed fish/game. Even my old standard peanut butter and jelly is running into problems with moldy jam!

I would be grateful if you could share cooking ideas that you have that would not require a cooler. Otherwise, oatmeal, jerky, and vegetable soup are going to get real old, real fast! :) OK, that's an exaggeration- I do have a few more ideas than that, but I'd really like to hear some of your ideas!

Is your plan to go with PC items? If so, canned goods and Oatmeal are out.

You would be surprised the number of meals that can be made with dry rations. Fresh meat (such as beef or venison), if kept cool in the shade, will keep for several days without a cooler. Sausages cooked/smoked (not the fresh) will also keep. Salted/cured meats are also an option, and many require no refrigeration.

As an example, for F&I or Pre-Rev:
Cornmeal
Parched/dried Corn
Maple sugar
Pork (salted or as bacon/ham)
Hominy
Vegetables (maybe carrots, leafy greens, fresh beans)
Beans
Eggs (maybe)
Meat (Salted or dried)
Tea & coffee (more rare)

The most difficult thing for most is - they want to eat everyday foods rather than meals using ingredients of the day. The former requires many ingredients, most requiring refrigeration. The latter requires neither.
You do tend to eat less variety, but tasty and filling is more important.

Eggs will keep for at least a week in the shell. You would not believe how long it takes to get them from the chicken to the store. Salt cured bacon, cured smoked pork loin, flour, and the other dry ingredients, dried apples, hard tack...the list goes on. You can eat really well without needing refrigeration. Clarified butter won't spoil. Bisquick is probably not PC/HC, but you can do a lot of good things with it.

My intention is to focus on PC cooking after I've gotten used to coolerless cooking over a campfire- that's plenty of changes from what I'm used to to start out with!

I may have been unclear, though- I can find plenty of info on which ingredients are likely to be suitable for what I want to do, and I have also looked over some of the the fur trade era trading post inventory lists that show what was actually supplied at the trading posts. That gives me loads of info about what is actually period when I take the step towards focusing on PC cooking.

What I don't know is what to do with the ingredients. Some of it's obvious- fried eggs, corn meal pancakes, etc. But I'd really like to have more ideas than that.

Thanks!

Mop best advice I can give is start trying things at home, remember dried stuff will plump up some but may not be as filling as fresh, you will get all the nutrients but may still feel a bit hungry LOL n from what I've read over the years that was a pretty normal experience. Keep a log of what ya use, how much, n how it tastes when done. Then plan around that. Most of us eat way way more then what we actually NEED so pare down yer amounts to suit.As has been mentioned all the dried stuff will keep n fresh actually takes a whole lot longer TO GO BAD then people are used to. Seen people toss out good steaks just because they had turned a little brown, thats just oxidation from the air, the meat is still fine to eat, unless it smells bad n its your decision alot of stuff that is perfectly fine gets tossed, its just the way we were raised. An example is modern Mayo, heck it can stay out in the sun for hours n won't go bad but the old style mayo of raw eggs n oil will go bad in a heart beat. But try cooking the stuff at home n see what ya like, then go from there, better to practice now then get stuck someplace n really be hungry--just some thoughts YMHS Birdman

Barley and mushrooms, fresh picked, or store bought in those little baskets, or even dehydrated and a beef bullion cube or two cooked in a boiler or trade kettle makes for a fine meal.
There is also split pea with crumpled up bacon (make it crispy and it will carry for days)and potato and onion cooked in your kettle also makes a hearty filling feast.
Wild rice and mushrooms with bullion cube or 2.

I could probably go on and on. Most meals were cooked as a "sauce" or "pudding" boiled for long periods to get the most out of them, and kill any potential bacteria, so with a little experimenting you can eat REALLY good in a period way.

pickled eggs

hard tack http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/...d/254295/post/955627/hl//fromsearch/1/#955627

foods & drinks that were shipped to Rondazoes in the early 1800 http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/264063/post/1080285/hl//fromsearch/1/

Food Containers
Such as hard tack, flower, baking powder, cornmeal, bean, dry fruit, coffee, ect.... http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/248019/post/873817/hl//fromsearch/1/

Corn fritter
1 (11 ounce) can creamed corn or one grated fresh ear of corn
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 egg

In a medium bowl, stir everything together. In an oiled frying pan, place a spoonful of batter and fry on both sides until golden brown. salt and serve with butter or sour cream or just plain.

Dry Beef stew
1 or 2 lb lean beef
Bottle of stake sauce
1 large bag frozen mix Vegetables

Cut beef into about 1in squares, place in bowl with stake sauce and let sit over night. Place beef into a food dehydrator and dry overnight or until beef is dry like jerky.
Next: put frozen mix Vegetables into food dehydrator and dry overnight or until Vegetables are dry out completely.
Put wire screen on bottom rack of food dehydrator because the Vegetables will shrink and fall thought the slats of your dehydrator.
Mix dry beef and Vegetables together and store in a dry place. Waterproof bag or a jar.

Place a hand full of Beef stew in a small boiler and boil for 1hr, or until soft. Add salt and pepper to taste.

This makes for a light weight food to carry and is tasty.

Apple pudding
1 apple
½ tsp sugar
pinch cinnamon
1 cup flower
1 cotton hanky

Cut apple into 4 sections, cut out core, sprinkle apple with cinnamon & sugar then put apple back together. Mix enough water with flower to make a dough, wrap dough around apple, place apple in center of hanky, bring corners of hanky up and tie together. Place apple warped in hanky in boiling water for 1hr. Place pudding / dumpling apple onto a plate and enjoy.
Recipe from: http://jas-townsend.com/index.php

Last edited by a moderator:
Jas-Townsend has quite a few video clips on cooking with soldiers rations, etc. on You Tube. He even has a DVD available which contains the same videos clips on 18th century cooking.

I like to keep my camp meals "stupid simple". A stew of dried rations and meat with some more roasted meat makes for easy meals with very little clean-up.

On occasion, I'll get fancy and roast a chicken hanging by the fire.

get eggs fresh from a farmer before they are cooled. coat in oil and they will last a month without refrig. mexico never cools eggs in the store. peppered bacon, salt pork. i smoke a pork shoulder at home the week before a rondy and we can cut it for stew, add to omelet, or eat cold after a long day shooting. lets you get to the campfire to test pie with a full tummy in no time at all. tortillas,bannock,hardtack, fried bread, lots of recipes on line that will go to campfire easy

Jas-Townsend has quite a few video clips on cooking with soldiers rations, etc. on You Tube. He even has a DVD available which contains the same videos clips on 18th century cooking.

Mophair This is a very good DVD for what your looking for.

Also

I never refrigerate eggs and they last more than 2 weeks just as they are.

Mophair, I think I can help you with your meat problem. Dietrich's Meats and country store has several types of baloney and sausage that do not require refrigeration. They are near Lenhartsville PA and they ship! phone # 610 756 6344
These items are kept on a table in their store.
I bought their Bag Baloney and sweet sticks last month. The Bag Baloney is a pretty big piece. The sweet stick are only around an inch round. I kept mine in a clean sack hanging in my kitchen. The problem was...it smelled so good in the open air I ate up all of my sweet sticks in two weeks! I had to do something else with my Bag Baloney!

Back