• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Sticks and Stones Camp Cooking

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Anyone else enjoy camp cooking using sticks and stones? Share your pics and/or techniques.

Here are a couple sticks and stones meals I've done to start the thread off.

Bannock bread cooked on a rock.
Birthday Outing 2021 282.JPG

Birthday Outing 2021 308.JPG

Whitetail backstraps cooked on the same rock.
Birthday Outing 2021 321.JPG

Birthday Outing 2021 342.JPG

Dinner is served!
Birthday Outing 2021 395.JPG

I carved two spatulas to turn the bread and steaks for this meal.
Birthday Outing 2021 265.JPG

When I was done, cleaning them was easy.
Birthday Outing 2021 418.JPG

Snowshoe hare and bannock bread cooked on sticks.
Overnight Int Outing 6 Insul Bed Imp Shelter 056.JPG

Overnight Int Outing 6 Insul Bed Imp Shelter 065.JPG

Last edited:
Looks great except for maybe the hare. I cooked one over a fire once and it was tough as a boot. But, it was food.

I've cooked a lot of hares over a fire and they were very good. Over cooking and too much heat can make any meat cooked over a fire tough. I try to cook them fairly slow, not too close to the embers.

Thumpers Snowshoe Hare 11-22-15 065.JPG

Intermediate Outing 2 01-26-15 034.JPG

On this camp I shot a snowshoe hare for dinner and cooked it over the fire. When making my spruce bough bed I found a rock under the snow to cook on. I cooked a few red potatoes and an onion on it to go with the hare. While they were cooking I melted snow for water in a steel bottle and cup.
Haversack Winter Trip 233.JPG

The hare was delicious. I ate half of it with onion and two of the potatoes for dinner. I saved the rest for breakfast.
Haversack Winter Trip 272.JPG

I cooked bannock bread on that rock in the morning. Because it was wedge shaped it heated unevenly. The dough on the thin part of the rock cooked faster than the dough on the thicker section of the rock.
Haversack Winter Trip 433.JPG

I turned the bannock in sections as it cooked. Then I reheated what was left of the hare, the last potato and onion wedges.
Haversack Winter Trip 452.JPG

Continuing to cook the bannock in sections.
Haversack Winter Trip 491.JPG

It took longer than usual but before long the last of the bannock was done.
Haversack Winter Trip 502.JPG

Snowshoe hare with stone grilled onion is delicious!
Haversack Winter Trip 488.JPG

On a winter camp in January of this year I brought along some brats and bannock bread mix. Originally I had planned to cook the brats and the bannock on sticks separately. As I was about to start cooking I came up with the idea of making pigs in a blanket instead.

I started by cooking the brats on willow sticks.
Tracker Winter Camp 2 Degrees 402.JPG

When they were ready I added water to the bannock mix and spread it over the brats.
Tracker Winter Camp 2 Degrees 406.JPG

Then I slowly cooked it over the fire.
Tracker Winter Camp 2 Degrees 439.JPG

Ready to eat.
Tracker Winter Camp 2 Degrees 442.JPG

They were good!
Tracker Winter Camp 2 Degrees 447.JPG

When I was a kid in Boy Scouts we discovered during the Wilderness Survival merit badge that we could cook with no utensils. Since we hated doing dishes, we tried to do this from then on. I did try the "cooking on a rock" thing but it was usually hard to find a suitable rock and you usually ended up with sand in whatever you were trying to cook. We were a big fan of cooking things on a stick and wrapping things up that could be stuck in the fire (like potatoes or stuffed peppers).

We also loved to build "fire tables" - a table with dirt on it so you could build your campfire at a comfortable cooking level.

When I was a kid in Boy Scouts we discovered during the Wilderness Survival merit badge that we could cook with no utensils. Since we hated doing dishes, we tried to do this from then on. I did try the "cooking on a rock" thing but it was usually hard to find a suitable rock and you usually ended up with sand in whatever you were trying to cook. We were a big fan of cooking things on a stick and wrapping things up that could be stuck in the fire (like potatoes or stuffed peppers).

We also loved to build "fire tables" - a table with dirt on it so you could build your campfire at a comfortable cooking level.

Gotta clean that rock a bit before you cook on it. :thumb:

A few years back on a winter camp I smoked some deer meat on sticks.

I started by building a willow frame and carving skewer sticks.
Adv Outing 9 Overnight Reflector Smoker 027.JPG

I put the marinated deer meat on skewers.
Adv Outing 9 Overnight Reflector Smoker 031.JPG

I covered the frame with a tarp. I used a foil pan for the smoldering wood. I already had a burn mark on the ground from my camp fire at this site. I didn't want to create a second one. I used aspen I cut nearby to smoke the meat.
Adv Outing 9 Overnight Reflector Smoker 033.JPG

Adv Outing 9 Overnight Reflector Smoker 036.JPG

The finished product.
Adv Outing 9 Overnight Reflector Smoker 058.JPG

It was delicious!
Adv Outing 9 Overnight Reflector Smoker 060.JPG

Latest posts

Back