• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Continental sxs Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Feltwad

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Enclosed are images of a sxs 16 bore percussion rifle
Feltwad
100_5079.JPG

100_5081.JPG
100_5082.JPG
100_5083.JPG
100_5083.JPG
100_5088.JPG
100_5088.JPG

That's a beauty. Is it German?
Two barrels, but three triggers intrigue me. Is it two "set triggers" and one main, or one "set trigger" and two mains?
I will explain the thing for three triggers
The first is the set trigger ,the second trigger fires the left hand lock and left barrel the last trigger fires the right hand lock and right barrel but is set with the set trigger. Both locks are fitted with external safety but the right lock is fitted with a type of {roller} fly fitted to the sear and the tumbler ,Hope that helps
Feltwad
100_5096.JPG

No although in shooting condition it is more of a collectors piece that is why I bought it because of its different types of patents .
Feltwad
As a collector myself, I totally understand. But for me, the temptation would always be there. LOL
I've always thought that nicely engraved iron hardware is still the best looking over brass or silver. And this gun is a great example.
And thanks for the locks/triggers explanation. Most interesting. Again, congratulations. A great addition to your collection. And thanks for posting this beauty. I just can't get over the patina on this gun.

Rick

Ah ha. Very interesting.
However, now another question; Do I understand correctly that the set trigger at the front only sets the rear trigger for the right barrel? And, that the left barrel cannot be "set"?
That is a crowded trigger guard.

Ah ha. Very interesting.
However, now another question; Do I understand correctly that the set trigger at the front only sets the rear trigger for the right barrel? And, that the left barrel cannot be "set"?
That is a crowded trigger guard.
That is correct
Feltwad

Beautiful firearm, Feltwad, and really appreciate you showing it here. When was it made, and do you think it was ever used for hunting?

I can certainly see it in use against Russian boar, and perhaps some of the African game.

Another beautiful piece, @Feltwad! While I can understand the collector’s mentality I could never adhere to it myself. An unfired gun is an unhappy gun!😁

Back