• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.54 Great Plains Rifle shooting a Maxi Ball or any other conical..........

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Tried to do a search on this but to no avail. Just wondering if anyone out there has shot Maxi Balls, or other conical(s), out of a .54 GPR. If so, please post up your findings. Being a slow rifled barrel for RB, I have my doubts as to the accuracy of conical(s) out of the GPR, but ya never know. I suppose I could always order a box and see how they do. If they do not pan out well I can always melt them down and cast something else out of them. However, I would like to hear from anyone that has already tried it. Perhaps save the some time and powder.

Thank you.

I have, but it was a 1981 vintage and they were 1:48 then. Shot just fine with the expected excessive recoil. 😀

At some point investarms switched to 1:60. I have no idea what the twist on the newer Pedersoli made GPRs is.

You might try asking on the Modern Muzzleloading Forum, which is a “sister” site to this forum. There is a lot of overlap in membership between the two, but some of the more modern muzzleloading enthusiasts bring some different experiences to the table.

Don’t get me wrong… You’re asking a perfectly good question right here! It’s just that you may get some additional responses on the other forum if you ask there, too.

Except for an occasional Minie ball from s rifle-musket, I’m pretty much a round baller. I suspect a lot of us here might say the same.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

You might try asking on the Modern Muzzleloading Forum, which is a “sister” site to this forum. There is a lot of overlap in membership between the two, but some of the more modern muzzleloading enthusiasts bring some different experiences to the table.

Don’t get me wrong… You’re asking a perfectly good question right here! It’s just that you may get some additional responses on the other forum if you ask there, too.

Except for an occasional Minie ball from s rifle-musket, I’m pretty much a round baller. I suspect a lot of us here might say the same.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob
Good point. I am a member over at MML site. I like shooting RB as well, its just that my "want bumps" are itching to try a conical out of my GPR.

Back