• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Conicals

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Puff

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Besides roundball what conicals can I shoot from my Lyman GPR?

Just about any of the correct size but you're gonna really have to work on your load. If your rifle has a twist for roundball the same load might not work for the conical.

Voyageur

The LGP is a pretty good replica pf the halfstck rifles of the 1840's or so and I think that there were three types of projectiles that worked well and were used in a gun of this type... the round ball, the round ball, and the other one was.....oh yeah the round ball..1/60 twist may not work well with modern style bullets offered for ML's today.

I'd recommend the Hornady Great Plain conicals. I shoot the 50 cal. 385 GR HB-HP. My barrel twist is 1 and 48, which I assume is the same as yours. The heavier bullet gives you the knockdown power you need out to 100 yrds. The bullets come pre lubed, and load easily. I've tried other bullets in sabots, but I love the performance of the Great Plains. They'll do the job for you!
grin.gif

Stump-My .50 New Englander loves the 385 great plains. Shot one deer this year with it 80gr 777.only problem was I hit about 4" too far foward.Destroyed both front shoulders.Shot was at 85yds. This load is very accurate out to 100yds for me.Don't know what it does past 100,haven't tried it.Plenty of pure knockdown power from this heavy conical,and more accurate than RB.

Charlie

I see Hornady has something they are marketing as the "Hardball". A very hard, but slightly less heavy round ball to be fired in a plastic sabot. I guess the intent is penetration, but a round ball hardly suffers from that, and lightening the projectile would only hurt that. It seems to be an idea in search of a use.

I have one gun (a .50 cal 1:48 T/C New Englander) that shoots Maxi-Hunters noticably better than round balls in medium to stiff (90 grs) powder loads. It is the only M/L I do or have ever owned that I use anything but patched round balls in.

If you need more penetration - go to a bigger bore instead of a longer projectile. The Maxi-Hunters offer less penetration but greater upset.

Unless you are shooting a twist above mid-high 40's : 1 ,try the Lee R.E.A.L. and adjust your loads, play with the powder and you will ditch the roundball. It is a superior deer-large game load. Not only is it a better load, it cleans with each shot, another thing a roundball can not do. Buy yourself a Lee REAL mold and try it. I think you will like it. Midway shooting supply is the cheapest and fastest shipping supplier of this mold.

Latest posts

Back