• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Conicals in 1858 Army Uberti

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laufer

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I am trying to find 200 grains conicals that I have used to shoot out of my Uberti 1858 Army. I can not find anything at any of the on line suppliers, does anybody have any idea where to buy those?

If you want to mold bullets for a C&B revolver, I would recommend the Lee 200 grain .451 R.E.A.L. bullet the base ring is rebated so it will load easier in the cylinder. Other .451 or .452 bullets might be used, but are hard to start straight and often have to be loaded with the cylinder out of the gun. On some revolvers, even the Lee bullet will not fit into the opening for the loading lever.

There are a couple of guys who cast and sell pistol conicals. I'm not aware of any commercial variety.

Another fellow has resized the base of modern bullets to create a heel for use in a cap n ball gun.

For percussion revolvers been sizing the rear 2/3's or so of bullets cast from soft lead so as the bullet slips into the chamber and then shears up front just like a round ball. They load pretty much the same as a maxi does in a rifle.

Lots of .45 pistol molds can be made to work real good. Unfortunately most pistols molds take up a whole lot of powder space in the chamber (it's always a matter of swapping powder space for lead space). But, it can be made to work pretty good if you develop loads for the revolvers same as you would want to do to get better accuracy with a cartridge revolver.

From what I've found with testing you can expect pretty much the same penetration in soft tissue because you really are swapping powder for lead, except differences really come in when you have a nose contour like a semi-wadcutter. It penetrates better like those conical bullets developed a century and a half ago to poke holes in heavy clothing.

That's what I like about making a custom bullet at Accurate Molds. My 195 grn WFN is just 0.460" taking up nearly no powder capacity.

This conical is no less accurate with a substantial accurate powder charge than a 0.457" ball (30 grns 3F Olde E/T7 in my Remington NMA and 35 grns in my ROA) at 15 yds offhand.

But I haven't bothered with mild loads with breakfast food to see if it'll produce better groups as that's just not a reasonable use for me.

As you know, the very best bullet design for a percussion revolver usually just isn't going to be something designed for a modern pistol or revolver.

The only really good thing about the dozens of available designs in .45 caliber is that they are mass produced sitting there waiting to be enjoyed.

You're hog hunting with yours, aren't you? I'd be after penetration for sure. Heavy lead with a penetrating nose would be my choice.
I haven't killed anything with a percussion revolver in a lot of years, and that was with a 1861.

My own experiments have pretty much been for the sake of tinkerers delight, my own information and pleasure of doing the research. What I've come up with gave me the idea of the .36 caliber 1858 Remington converted to .40 bore. My handy dandy little shooter using all those .41 caliber molds. It's a little barker and I shoot it well; a good thing seeing as it wasn't free.
:haha:

It's just a sidearm until I can do better out to 25 yds. At 15 yds it does well enough, but I all too often get one that opens it up to my 4" maximum.

Quite frankly I ought to do more testing to see if it's one chamber doing this or if it's me as I've read of several match shooters finding a chamber throwing their group off as well.

I have a 285 grn version of my WFN designed specifically for my ROA, and I've created a 245 grn version as well, but haven't bought it yet. That's the one I'd prefer for hogs as I'd want more mass than 195 grns.

I've posted links to these designs a few times but they always get deleted with a warning about posting personal stuff for sale or some such, which has never been the case. I've talked to the moderators about it but they keep deleting them anyway so I got tired of doing it.

I truly like the idea of your .40 cal, but the cost involved and figuring it wouldn't give me anything over my .44/.45 cals puts a project like that at the bottom of a lengthy list.

Wow, never thought of that.
Those are .454" diameter, too big for me, I would have to press them really hard to fit.
Thank you!

In one of those hunts Kaido's bullet went nose to tail through an adult hog. I believe it was his 240 grn version, but I'm not certain.

I believe this group of guys also use Triple 7 powder.

One of Kaido's friends uses his Walker and 2F T7 preferring a ball claiming the wound is more devastating out to 25 yds but would otherwise use one of Kaido's bullets. He uses 66 grns.

220 grain by Kaido ordered, looks like that will be a good medicine. Thank you for the info!

Latest posts

Back