• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Conical recommendations

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You know theres nothing stopping you from sending the OP a PT and filling him in on everything you deem to be the best and way to go. The rules are clear and easy to live by, theres no reason to continually argue about this on the open forum.

Swampy said:
You know theres nothing stopping you from sending the OP a PT and filling him in on everything you deem to be the best and way to go. The rules are clear and easy to live by, theres no reason to continually argue about this on the open forum.

Hard to keep up if they're going to make new rules.

Right, theres only some we can talk about in open forum and others we can't. But those you can in private.

Capper said:
Swampy said:

They aren't exactly new. Not very hard to understand them and live within them.

rarely come here anymore due to all the rules ruining this place. Used to be fun but now its just mods pushing rules to the point where a fun topic gets locked :youcrazy:

Swampy said:
Capper said:
Swampy said:

They aren't exactly new. Not very hard to understand them and live within them.

I was going by this post by Zonie.

The Rules section has been recently changed to read:

"3. We do not discuss copper and/or jacketed, plastic/polymer tipped bullets, sabots, power belts, or other 'plastic-wrapped' bullets."

Well I don't know exactly when it was changed but I've known for a while now that discussing sabots and non-lead conicals was a no no.

Well, a XXXXXXXXX is lead. It just happens to have a cute little plastic skirt.

marmotslayer said:

You and KW should at least keep up with the rules you have inspired! :rotf:

Heres a new one! If your rifle isnt made with HC/PC materials such as barrel/lock material, it aint real! Its made with modern steel and therefore isnt correct :rotf:

Holy mackarel fellas, I didn't mean to light a firestorm! Apologies for not reading the fine print. If talking about lead conicals is OK I'd be happy just to hear your thoughts on them.

Rules are rules no matter when they are made or changed.
Zonie took the time in this very topic to let everyone know that the rules have been recently modified. To try and side-step him and re-post the same info in a slightly different way does not change those rules.
The moderators are here to help make sure Claude's rules are being followed on the forum. That is what we try to do.

If there is ever any question, the rules may be viewed by clicking the tab at the top of every forum page. :v

So are you saying that discussing "lead conicals" runs counter to the rules? I didn't get that from reading this: "3. We do not discuss copper and/or jacketed, plastic/polymer tipped bullets, sabots, power belts, or other 'plastic-wrapped' bullets." Tell me where I'm side-stepping things please.

Zip said:
So are you saying that discussing "lead conicals" runs counter to the rules? I didn't get that from reading this: "3. We do not discuss copper and/or jacketed, plastic/polymer tipped bullets, sabots, power belts, or other 'plastic-wrapped' bullets." Tell me where I'm side-stepping things please.

All-lead conicals are fine. I just clicked reply and was not replying specifically to you Zip. The side-stepping was not you.

Bill K said:
Hi,

New to this stuff so please don't give to much weight to what I have to say.

I have a percussion T/C PA Hunter (.50 1:66) from which I shoot both RB and Hornady PA Conicals (240 gr). PRB shot great for me but I listened to someone who told me that the PA Conicals would be better for deer hunting. The PA Conicals also shoot great for me but as I visit this site and others I'm beginning to believe that ~100 yards and in I'd do just fine with the PRB. Thinking now to get some BP, shoot up my conicals and then stick with PRB.
The PA Conical is half ball, half conical like the old Buffalo Ball-et but only offered in 50 caliber. It will give you more downrange energy since it's heavier but not as much drop as a full conical. If it's as accurate as shooting RB in your rifle then the only factor to consider is cost IMO. The more expensive PA conical isn't going to kill the deer any more dead, so shoot them up and buy more RB.

bull3540 said:
Bill K said:
Hi,

New to this stuff so please don't give to much weight to what I have to say.

I have a percussion T/C PA Hunter (.50 1:66) from which I shoot both RB and Hornady PA Conicals (240 gr). PRB shot great for me but I listened to someone who told me that the PA Conicals would be better for deer hunting. The PA Conicals also shoot great for me but as I visit this site and others I'm beginning to believe that ~100 yards and in I'd do just fine with the PRB. Thinking now to get some BP, shoot up my conicals and then stick with PRB.
The PA Conical is half ball, half conical like the old Buffalo Ball-et but only offered in 50 caliber. It will give you more downrange energy since it's heavier but not as much drop as a full conical. If it's as accurate as shooting RB in your rifle then the only factor to consider is cost IMO. The more expensive PA conical isn't going to kill the deer any more dead, so shoot them up and buy more RB.

Thanks. Got my first BP (Goex ffG) just this afternoon. Also picked up some precut and lubed .018 T/C ticking patches. Anxious to shoot up the PA conicals (got to, I couldn't stand to have them laying around as a temptation and to frugal to just throw them away) and get to work optimizing with the PRB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back