• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

conical loads

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stalkerhawk

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Ok I just got a traditions trapper pistol.I'd like to know how much powder I should load with,and if I can use conicals out of it,and if so how much powder should I use for them.

i would check out the lymons blackpowder reloading book. its well worth the 16 bucks to have it on your shelf.

my dad has the book at work right now.
but it has a spot in back set up by caliber and type of gun and rate of twist with load data.
very good book to have.
hopefully someone will chime in here with a copy of the book to tell you.
will also need to know the caliber of the pistol you want a load for

I have a Trapper also. It's a very good shooting gun. Remember, each gun is different and has its own preferances. My gun's favorite load for accuracy is 20-25 grains 3F for a .490 round ball on a .015 patch. Yours may differ according to lube, etc. I'd suggest starting at maybe 15-20 grains and working your way up a grain at a time till you find the gun's sweet spot. You'll know it because your groups will tighten up dramatically.

I hope you enjoy yours as much as I've enjoyed mine. BTW, locktite the 2 trigger adjustment screws! There's one between the triggers, and one just behind the rear trigger, under the trigger guard. They have a habit of shooting loose and that can lead to a dangerous condition where the gun can go off without you pulling the trigger. Learned that one the hard way.

Have a Trapper and a Tower pistol. Used .450 maxiballs with 24 grs Ch 2. Works good, recoil is a bit tougher than with PRB.Think with 26-28 grs Goex FFFg it will work also.

Back