• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Confederate revolver, true or fake

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My first thoughts were the grips had no handling marks at all. Overall it would have had to be a confederate closet queen.

The grip shape and the bottom of the grip angle are wrong for a Confederate revolver I believe. If it's a modern fake they did a nice job with the patina. The letter font looks to be more modern to me also. Is it supposed to be a Griswold and Gunnison or a Leech and Rigdon?

Not an expert but to my eyes, the wood looks to be in excellent condition. These Confederate guns were used and abused for the most part and show a lot of wear as I have seen from display examples at the Confederate Museum in Greenville, SC. The brass looks too clean and someone mentioned the setial# is too high for the actual production numbers made. If the screw threads are metric then it will be a definite fake.
Reminds me of the ALL matching K98 sniper rifles with matching serial #s on rifle, mount and scope! 😂 There are more of them now than when originally made back then.

Prolly gonna catch heck for bringing this up. Have a well used original 1858 few like to hold for long. Used to take it to shows to see folks reaction to it. Most almost invariably said it felt weird and called it a "blood gun" others said confederate capture without suggestion. I actually dislike it myself and keep it in an out building . Go figure.
Tell more, you think it’s haunted? Any verified back story about it? Bill Hickock, Hardin and others pistols killed quite a few, worth thousands.

Thanks hawkeye2 for your spot on information concerning the FAKE Reb revolver. As it has been said, you can fool some of the people, some of the time, but you cannot fool all the people, all the time. SALUTE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As it has been said, you can fool some of the people, some of the time, but you cannot fool all the people, all the time.
1704563217643.jpeg

To check authenticity send several clear, well-lit, and sharp photos to any of the major auction houses, Rock Island, Morphy. Amoskeag, et. al, Their appraisers will inform you what you have.

The grip shape and the bottom of the grip angle are wrong for a Confederate revolver I believe. If it's a modern fake they did a nice job with the patina. The letter font looks to be more modern to me also. Is it supposed to be a Griswold and Gunnison or a Leech and Rigdon?
Griswold and Gunnison has a brass frame. The Leech and Rigdon has a steel frame.

Latest posts

Back