• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Competetion Shooting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I started with a lyman great planes rifle in .50 cal. shot it just the way it left the factory. shot that for 3 years. then picked up a hoyt .40 cal. barrel for it. shot that for 7 more years. then got a Hopkins and Allen under hammer in .45 been using that ever since.

you don't need an expensive or new gun to win matches. that lyman was bought at a yard sale for $120. the h&a at a gun show for about the same price. I use real black powder and cast my own balls.

along the way met a lot of good people. had a lot of fun. still shoot in matches when they have them.

I have a few of them now and love them all. Building a couple more it gets kind of addictive. My lyman great plains 54 does me good at a rondevous and nobody will say anything about the lock spring. Most true to a hawken style....someone probably would say something about a t/c rear sight at our primitive rondy but not on a monthly meeting.

There is an older Lyman on Gunbroker right now at a $100.00 starting price. Being one of the older ones it should have nice wood and good fit and finish. Could be a cheap way to start shooting with a more than decent gun..

Latest posts

Back