• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

"commercial" 1803's, pros and cons?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mastadonald

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Good morning all, was hoping to get some opinions on the "commercial" 1803s, quality etc. I saw an Uberti for sale at what seemed a good price, was looking for feedback. Thanks

I have a Brazilian replica 1803. I feel it is about 80% wall-hanger and 20% practical. The lock is unreliable. I get only about 6 shots per flint, the double throated cock design makes it non-adjustable. Flints that are long enough to properly adjust in the jaw are too wide and look funny. Mine shoots very good groups, but I've spent a lot of time at the range finding the right load - still its unreliable. Ramrod is not threaded and cannot accept jags or worms. Sights that came with mine were total junk - both had to be replaced. It is my opinion that these replica guns are highly overpriced junk. I got mine through an outright trade, but if I had paid $500-600 for it, I would have been really bent out of shape. I have no information about any American made replica 1803s so I cannot comment there, but do whatever you have to in order to save enough to buy a reliable piece (which probably means a custom gun) Before you buy a foreign replica, handle a custom gun and get to know a custom gun maker. You will need no further convincing after you operate the locks on a replica and a custom. For a few hundred dollars difference, you can end up with a reliable, functional, beatuiful flintlock, that can be handed down to the next generation. I can tell you that if it weren't for my friend talking me out of it - twice - my replica would have been at the bottom of the pond at the farm where I hunt. Respectfully submitted.

(I traded for my 1803 to see if I was going to like the idea of a flintlock. I did like it - a lot. I like the complexity of the system, i.e., ball, load, patch, flint spacing, timing, etc)

Thats the info I'm looking for. I don't have the skill to make one from a kit, so I guess a custom is the way to go!

I have an 1803 made by interarms(Cabelas). As originally received it was accurate and reliable but the lock was slow and the sights were terrible. The inside of the lock is now all siler, The front sight is 2 half penny's( 1825 & 1832)and a new rear sight and I love it. If you are willing(able) to do some minor work the reproductions will work nicely and for a lot less than a custom.

The inside of the lock is now all siler

Hey Othern,

How about the frizzen? I would love to get an 1803, but have heard bad things about the imports too. One of those bad things being that they don't spark.

Does anyone know what the options are out there for the 1803's? Will a TOW lock fit the Cabela's/Euroarms, etc. imports?

Yeah, I forgot about the frizzen. The first one lasted about 200 or so shots and then was worn through the hardening. I called Cabela's and they sent me two more. I put one on and it is still going strong with 2000+ shots, so it would probably be wise to have a spare.

Like Luddite said!! I've owned three of them over the past thirty years. I really like the style and the PCness for an old mountainman, and kept hoping that the next one would be a good one, no luck.
The last one I aquired for $200 in unfired condition, unfired because the owner couldn't make it fire. Replaced hammer, frizzen and all internal lock parts. This one was at least in the correct .54 cal. and decently rifled. It shot pretty well at 100. The first two had been .58 cal. with shallow 3 groove barrel and not good shooters. If you can get a .54 cal. cheap enough to justify rebuilding or replacing the lock then it may be an OK deal, otherwise go custom. Really, they don't look a whole lot like an original 1803 either. :imo:

I have seen a few Dave Motto built 1803s at what seemed a fair price for a custom rifle. I know the name but have never played with one of his guns. Any feedback on his products?

I worked quite a bit to get one reliable. It wasn't worth the trouble :imo:, so I traded it off.

If I was serious about getting another rifle of this peiod, and didn't have the skills to build one I would take a good look at 1795 Contract Rifle :peace:

Major problems exist with the lock geometry of the Italian produced 1803s that causes a lack of consistent spark and resultant ignition woes. Also, the poor geometry has also been claimed to lead to premature mainspring breakage. TOW had a piece on their website about reworking the lock's internals and it isn't a job for the novice. Was thinking of taking the opportunity to convert one to percussion (drum conversion) by using a period flint-to-percussion converted Golcher lock I have here in the shop. When I get to it, I'll post pictures here of the transformation.

Does anyone know of a builder who could build one of the 1795 contract rifles? I suppose they all could, but does anyone have an experience having one built? I really like the look of it, and the history.

The TOW catalog says the R.E. Davis lock will not fit the Italian repops and internal parts will not fit either :nono:

Back