• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Colt vs Remington Sights

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trettie

Matchlocks and Flintlocks
Reaction score
I have a Uberti 1860 Army that I love to shoot, but the Colt hammer sights have never been a favorite. I haven't had a chance to shoot the Remington 1858; how does its frame sights compare?

Greatly superior in my experience. I've done OK with the 1860 Army and the 1851 Navy, but the 1858 Remington feels much more like a modern revolver when you are aiming at a bullseye. The Colt arrangement gives a decent account of itself from a sandbagged rest. It's when you shoot offhand or from field positions that the Remington's superiority becomes much clearer.

I have both Uberti guns and I can't really say I prefer one over the other, I just put the front sight in the notch and try to keep it on target LOL.

I took a 3 corner diamond file to the notch on my 1860 Pietta hammer and widen it a lot. Now I can shoot it as well as my well worn Pietta New Army Remmys.

I've seen pictures of 60 Colts with a dovetail sight at the back end of the barrel over the forcing cone. Looked kind of weird but it probably works better than a hammer nose sight notch.

I don't have a Remington but I used a file on the rear sight of my 1860 and opened it up, now it shoots to point of aim t 30 ft quite well.

Duelist1954 has a youtube video on how to do this.

If your shooting for fun and tin cans either are fine but if you are shooting for "the money" then the Remington is the one you want :thumbsup: .

I have had the same experience, except I filed a square bottomed notch in the hammer.
I see no disadventage in the Colt type sights. In fact, with the latter, you get a longer sight radius.

Latest posts

Back