• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Colt Dragoon Light Hammer Strike?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If it was only the two nipples, and you are certain the caps were seated and the hammer face was just striking one side of the nipple, I would think it might be a nipple problem rather than a hammer problem. If you change the profile of the hammer face, you might end up with those two nipples working and problems with the other four. Maybe remove the problematic nipples and examine them to see if the striking surfaces are uneven. They could be leveled with a file or stone if needed.

I think @borne2fly (post #15) may be on to something, also, with the deep nipple pocket theory.

I would not modify the hammer at this point, in any event.

Good luck with it! Please let us know how it works out, and if the SlixShot nipples take care of the problem.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

Update: Slixshots installed on Dragoon and New Army. Dragoon "light hammer strike" did not recur. Cap sucking by the hammer reduced considerably. Cap jamming due to cap just falling into the action reduced only marginally.

Back