• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cold weather shooting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all, I have a Uberti 1860 army that is new, and I am wondering what your method is for keeping it running in cold/snowy weather. We just got blasted in New England, and id like to maybe bring this revolver hunting somewhere, so I need to be able to make sure I can get it to work. I know how to get these things to always go bang in dry/reasonable weather. What are some differences/tips? I ordered a full flap holster today, so I guess that would be a start. Thanks!

I have carried in cold weather, when I wasn't such a wuss and never had any problems, especially with a flapped holster. The big problem is when you go from a cold environment to a warm environment with the difference in temperature condensing moisture on ,and in the weapon.
The pistol will function in cold weather if it is cold and dry.

Hello all, I have a Uberti 1860 army that is new, and I am wondering what your method is for keeping it running in cold/snowy weather. We just got blasted in New England, and id like to maybe bring this revolver hunting somewhere, so I need to be able to make sure I can get it to work. I know how to get these things to always go bang in dry/reasonable weather. What are some differences/tips? I ordered a full flap holster today, so I guess that would be a start. Thanks!
Usually you dont need to do anything extra because your coat covers the pistol on your belt. For rifles I've heard of guys putting condoms over the muzzle to seal it.

If I walked into a store and asked for a few condoms at my age I'd sure enough get some questioning looks. That's why I use electrical tape.
We took care of the need for condoms years ago but I would walk in with head held high and ask for a gross of Magnums... of course they wouldn’t fit my rifle but I’ll be doggoned if I would ask for something to fit 15/16” flat to flat...

You don't really need any muzzle protection with a revolver as they are usually carried in a holster. A rifle works better with electricians tape.
I believe for cold weather shooting in particular waxed wool felt wads are the way to go instead of grease over ball shooting. Cold weather muzzle loader shooting makes fouling act about the same as when used in very hot and dry conditions.. The more I shoot grease wads over the powder and under the bullet the less I want to shoot grease over ball any longer.
I have not tested my felt grease wads in really cold weather yet and now would be a good time to see how they work as we are currently having some cold dry weather here in AK.
They seem to work as good as over ball grease in warm weather though and are far less messy.

My barrels ( not pistols) are so greasy electricians tape dont stick.
A small rubber balloon would work better.
For a revolver I would keep it covered in my olive oil and beeswax mix in winter conditions as it works on my long guns.

back when i used to deer hunt in the rain with my tc hawken i used the little balloon with a rubber band around it and dripped candle wax around he skirt of the nipple. that always worked fine.

The gun should stay nice and warm in a holster as your body heat will keep it warm. If you actually do get to use it that tends to warm it up as well.

The cheap balloons used for water balloons also work. Get the red ones and use those on a loaded rifle.

Rubber medical finger cots would work, but are unnecessary because water will not get past the balls seated in the chamber mouths.
You could dab a little fingernail polish around the caps after they are seated. Use the brusk that comes with the polish, or a very tiny-tipped artist’s brush after cutting off most of the wooden shaft.
Don’t get carried away with the amount of nail polish used. A little goes a long way.

I wonder if pushing a bit of bees wax in the top of each nipple before seating the cap would work. The fulmate in modern caps is supposed to be water proof. I think I'll give it a try and see if the brisenance can blast through, consume the wax and fire the charge consistently.

Just an FYI, no fulminate has been used in caps for over a century or so.

I went shooting today, temperature about 35 degrees, which is balmy for this time of year in Minnesota.

No problems shooting in cold weather, except my fingers get cold and stiff, since effective gloves or mittens can't be worn. Placing the caps in position is the most difficult part of shooting a muzzlemloading revolver once the weather gets cold.

The gun in the pictures is a Griswold & Gunnison replica. 36 caliber and brass frame. I use 17 to 20 grains of FFF and a round ball in it.
100_6905.JPG

100_6907.JPG

for this central Texan when it gets that nasty out my shooting is BULL**** with my shooting buddies who are smart enough to stay inside.
I had all the snow and cold I want with two winters in central Germany with the 4th armored division and a commanding General Andrew P. O' Meara (RIP) that hated to see troops nice and warm in billets..
Bunk

I shot my Pietta Remington Navy this past weekend with temperatures in the mid-30s (swimsuit weather to some of our more Northern members, no doubt). I used home made lubricated felt wads rather than grease. The lube is a 50/50 mix of beeswax and mutton tallow. It got pretty stiff but other than that the gun performed normally. I had a healthy amount of Ballistol on the cylinder base pin and it was fine.

Back