• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cold weather effects?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually, a rifle that was sighted in normally on the straight and level, under the full 90* effects of gravity, will have its POI print higher than normal in both uphill and downhill cases.

Rifle performed well- but it was a bit low and to the right as my last sight in. I had thought the 20-40 mph crosswinds on my last sight in was pushing bullets to the side but apparently I need to adjust it (its hard to find a day the wind is not blowing hard in South Dakota ). At 50 yards it was low 1" and right 1".

No luck tonight though. Saw about 40 deer but none came in under 150 yards.

I guess I might have hit the deer and it walked off that night- besides no blood trail I saw the whole group walk away almost a mile though with none dropping :hmm:

Must have flinched or something. Oh well, probably won't have time again to come out this season. Will have to practice more. :grin: :grin:

I shot at a nice 3 pt few years ago 50 yds from a blind, rest, several minutes to get calm and missed :idunno: At camp an 8 yd test drilled the center of a chew can. Come to believe I jumped the shot wanting to see where he ran. He didn't! He circled back to withing 30 yds (all whilst I eagerly waited for him to drop) then the smoke hit him and he took off. No blood, hair etc? Shake it off, you'll get one fine.

What was the lube? Lubes that work in 80 deg. summertime heat may not work so well at 10 deg. The Dutch Shoultz "Dry Patch" system has real merits in variable conditions like these. ML accuracy means controlling the variables, lubes that are good in summer and freeze in winter won't cut it in the hunting fields!
http://www.blackpowderrifleaccuracy.com/index.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Roundball, I'm not talking about where the rifle is actually sighted in..... but the idea that we are not aiming at the spot on the deer, where we think we are. Looking down hill, you will see more of the top of the deer, and it can be difficult to bring the sights down, where they need to be. Targets are one dimensional, deer are not. Early, in my hunting years, I shot deer in the legs, when they were uphill, and I shot over their back, when shooting down hill.(Had noting to do will how the rifle was sighted in, just my perception). However, I did hunt in mountainous terrain, and I'm talking about very steep uphill and down. But, the same can happen, from an elevated stand.

Back