• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cocking effort on 1858 Remington

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmoreno

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Compared to my 1860 Army Colt, the cocking effort on my Remington it high. Is there any way to adjust it? It's an Uberti.

There is a tension screw for the spring, but to get a real reduction you are going to have to thin the spring. Using files and whetstones, you can thin the spring to help. Try it frequently to make sure you don't get it to light, and use strokes along the length of the spring, not across it. Make sure you keep the finish smooth, or you will introduce micro cracks that will eventually cause failure.

Cocking effort shouldn't be of much concern, what is important is trigger pull and reliability. The tenson screw in the front strap probably won't do much, I have never had much luck changing the adjustment of it. AlanA gave good advise on lightning the spring but you need to keep two things in mind: First, lightning the spring will improve the trigger pull but removing too much could reduce it to a dangerous point. The second thing and the one that will most likely show up before trigger problems is the ability to set off a cap. Percussion revolvers require a fair ammount of mainspring pressure to crush a cap and it is quite easy to take a spring below this point resulting in unreliable or no ignition. It is not a big deal, you just start over again with a new spring, they are cheap.

Is anything dragging? Fortunately the Army is simple. You can dissassemble, stone and polish all moving parts and put back together.
Don't say you can't do that sort of thing. The first ml type gun I ever had was an Army kit (CVA, I think). I did all the stoning, polishing and assembly on the kitchen table and made myself a shooter. Great learning experience.

IMO the mechanics and extra reach on the Rems. make them harder to cock. We never got our 1858's to feel as good as the 1860's.
One nice thing they are way tougher than the Colts when it comes to the beating that cavalry give them.

Thanks for the info. Seems like the cocking effort on the Remington is the nature of the beast. With my arthritic hands, the difference between the Colt and the Remington is quite noticeable, but I'll live with it. They're both beautiful guns.

Davey;
The spring tension is adjustable via the set screw in the front side of the backstrap. Remmies do seem to require more cocking effort; the nature of the beast. Be careful not to ease off too much or you will not detonate the caps every time. Much can be done to ease cocking action by smoothing the hammer, trigger and sear to a microfinish, also by smoothing the end of the spring where thev hammer roller rides. Lube everything with Lubriplate or equivalent white grease,and you will be amazed at the difference.

Back