• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Coaching Carbine Done!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erzulis boat

45 Cal.
Reaction score
20220913_155705.jpg

20220913_155506.jpg

20220913_155731.jpg

20220913_155716.jpg

Scratch built Coaching Carbine. Barrel is 23", bore is 20G- Made the barrel from scratch, posted an old build thread way back when.

I went off a grainy image in an old book, and also made the safety on the Chambers lock.

I made an inletting mistake on the entry thimble, and pushed this build to the side. Years later, I got back to it, and finished it out. Try to find the mistake!

I used a plain blank of Walnut from Dunlap woods, it's a Coaching Carbine, and made for duty so I didn't get crazy with anything, I did the initial border cut with a v-groove chisel, and it went lickity-split. I am pretty sure that the old guns were done this way, the modern stab technique is painfully slow (although "safer" I suppose).

20220913_155535.jpg

I like it. The relief carving looks very clean. Cant wait to see pics on what it does on the range!

I like it. The relief carving looks very clean. Cant wait to see pics on what it does on the range!

I just penciled the path, and took a small v-groove chisel and a light wooden mallet, then very quickly outlined it. It was very easy (and extremely quick) to get the lines to flow and curve nicely.

I then just cut the wood back with an angled chisel. This is the way I am going to do it from now on.

If this is your first build it is not a bad job, if you are copying always stick to the traditional. There are several mistakes, but I am not going to nit-pick you have skills which will improve on more builds stick with it
Feltwad

20220914_095528.jpg

Side view. LOP is 13.5"

I had started it 10+ years ago, but made an inletting mistake on the entry thimble and lost steam. It's been sitting ever since. I can only find the repair now because I know where it is, but at the time it drove me nuts.

wow, this is pretty much almost my dream gun
brass barrel Flintlock blunderbuss, if it was an 8 or 10 Bore it would be on the money
:)

I love it. Would put the fear of the Lord in a bandit or make a turkey serve dinner duty. :)

When you shoot it I hope you give us a range report.

Where did you get the barrel?

wow, this is pretty much almost my dream gun
brass barrel Flintlock blunderbuss, if it was an 8 or 10 Bore it would be on the money
:)

I love it. Would put the fear of the Lord in a bandit or make a turkey serve dinner duty. :)

When you shoot it I hope you give us a range report.

Where did you get the barrel?
I made the barrel. Getting the bore straight took some planning!

I ended up drilling from both ends (meet in the middle) and then made a custom pull through cutter. It came out straight and true. I then made angled vise blocks and did the octagon at the breech. The rest was lathe turned.

Erzulis Boat is typical of the ingenious ways members of this forum figure out various ways to utilize limited tools in-order to manufacture some excellent & unique firearms :thumb:
I'm 80 years old & have been shooting & building muzzleloaders for over 60 years & throughout these years have learned numerous excellent tips from members on this superb forum, thanks for sharing !!!
relic shooter

Back