• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Club Butt Musket in Muzzle Blasts

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Russ T Frizzen

70 Cal.
Reaction score
Just got my copy of the July issue of Muzzle Blasts and there is a brief article on a club butt musket in it. It has some nice photographs of the musket. It strikes me as being a "bitsa" gun--maybe using an early French musket barrel (given the bore and barrel length) and an English dog catch lock among other odds and ends. Maybe a fowler rather than a musket, too. The trigger guard is interesting--it looks like there is no forward return on it, but rather that it has a point or prong that goes directly into the stock. It's hard to tell given the angle the photo was taken at. Has anyone else noticed this?

I was looking at the same thing on that gun. I wouldn't be surprised if the front of the trigger guard screws into the stock. The picture of the tang screw going in from the bottom shows the guard going straight into the stock. Len

I just received my copy today so couldn't reply earlier. Were the front trigger guard tangs (without returns) ever inlet (barbed) or driven into the stock?

That seems possible with this gun. It would be a practical solution for someone not used to forging a trigger guard. Or someone who didn't have a piece of iron long enough to allow a forward return to be made.

I can't put pictures on the forum. Maybe the magazine is available in book stores? Or check the NMLRA web-site.

Latest posts

Back