• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Club-butt Militia Musket

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BCarp

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Recently completed for me by my good friend, and builder extraordinaire, Kevin Dougherty of Brackney, PA.
New England militia musket ca. 1740s, the concept being a colonial re-stock of an older British military lock and London-made fowler barrel.
”George I” lock from The Rifle Shoppe, Don Getz 12 gauge 42” barrel, maple stock, hand-made sheet metal furniture.

Attachments

• IMG_1364.jpeg
    IMG_1364.jpeg
    331.8 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1365.jpeg
    IMG_1365.jpeg
    383.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1366.jpeg
    IMG_1366.jpeg
    535.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230429_074900.jpeg
    20230429_074900.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Nice! The lock even looks like it could have started out as a doglock, wgat with the ‘flat’ cock around the tumbler screw.

Club butts handle so well, belying their ungainly looks!!!!
Pic of the original lock in the Royal Armoury upon which the Rifle Shoppe based their casting. Basically the next step beyond the dog-lock.

Attachments

• Flintlock muzzle-loading military musket - Pattern 1715 Land Service (_) (1715).jpeg
    Flintlock muzzle-loading military musket - Pattern 1715 Land Service (_) (1715).jpeg
    149.4 KB · Views: 0
Tremendous gun. I have always liked Kevin's work. I'm doing two of those this winter, both 8 bores with full choke.
We were pretty much inspired by this original from the George Moller collection. It appears in Vol. 1 of his “American Shoulder Arms.”

Attachments

• IMG_1041.jpeg
    IMG_1041.jpeg
    65.4 KB · Views: 0
Great job. Just love the early features including the three screw lock and multi-screw trigger guard. Really cool. Congrats.

Rick

Great job. Just love the early features including the three screw lock and multi-screw trigger guard. Really cool. Congrats.

Rick
The 'Screws" are actualy 'Sidenails ' still true to this present day & Screws are called' pins 'if not wood screws .However what should be and what is excepted .isnt likley to alter .What most call a frizzen I call a 'steel 'and what most call a' hammer' Ide call a Cock .The Frizzen was called a Hammer at one stage or a 'Battery' if you go early .Better include' Tang Nails' No' bolts' on any of them. Logic might not enter it ,like Gun trade tradition does
. Argumentative Rudyard

Love it! Looks like he is less than an hour from me and I didn't know of him. Just the kind of gun I like!

The 'Screws" are actualy 'Sidenails ' still true to this present day & Screws are called' pins 'if not wood screws .However what should be and what is excepted .isnt likley to alter .What most call a frizzen I call a 'steel 'and what most call a' hammer' Ide call a Cock .The Frizzen was called a Hammer at one stage or a 'Battery' if you go early .Better include' Tang Nails' No' bolts' on any of them. Logic might not enter it ,like Gun trade tradition does
. Argumentative Rudyard
Good info!

Last edited:
Very Pleased to be in contact with Brian again we Did the Jacobite thing ,Though Ime not a' Jacobite'. Sherlock didn't do there cause much good & Ime a Royalist anyway . But I liked the togs , in the dog days of August & I generally wear shorts anyway in our benign climate . I even hunted in our local mountains donned in a fielimore serving as attire & blanket Didn't go the Brogue's bit .Plimsouls' a better option I wore a' dudgeon dagger' antecedal dirk handy to take billies off the fire and skewer a pig if required , its ' bye knife' most useful . Even hunted with' Heron' butted Snaphance cant do things by half's eh ?. Rarely met any one even in a weeks hunt mostly off track' bush bashing' anyway .Incidentally Samuel Plimsole as in the 'Plimsole line' for ships .Was a Sheffield man who devised the cheap canvas & rubber shoe for the poor. Viz 'Plimsoles '.How ever its spelt . Might find a pic later
Regards Rudyard

Back