• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

17th C. English Dog-Lock Musket

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Greetings,
You guys are probably already aware of this Publication and Author but from about 2003 to my last copy 2014 of--The Spring, London Park Lane Arms Fair-- Brian Godwin had an outstanding series of articles on the History of the English Lock. This thread on Dog-Locks reminded me of them. Hank

Greetings,
You guys are probably already aware of this Publication and Author but from about 2003 to my last copy 2014 of--The Spring, London Park Lane Arms Fair-- Brian Godwin had an outstanding series of articles on the History of the English Lock. This thread on Dog-Locks reminded me of them. Hank
Dear Hank. You are being a bit obscure Its been years since I did the Park Lane fair and while your ? Book or Brian Godwins book ? sounds great I never heard of it. & I wonder if most on this particuller post are aware of it . Could you clarify Please .
Regards & intrigued Rudyard

Dear Hank. You are being a bit obscure Its been years since I did the Park Lane fair and while your ? Book or Brian Godwins book ? sounds great I never heard of it. & I wonder if most on this particuller post are aware of it . Could you clarify Please .
Regards & intrigued Rudyard
Greetings Rudyard,
Not meaning to be obscure. I use to do buisness with Ken Trotman Ltd in England. (Book sellers). In their catalog they would offer a very nice "Magazine" called The London Park Lane Arms Fair and when it was in their catalog I would order it even though it was 30 pounds per copy, but had lots of righteous information. In the Article I am sending , Brian C. Godwin, John S. Cooper, & Michael G. Spencer wrote: The English Flintlock: it's Origin and Development. After this most were writen by Brian C. Godwin. Like I said I would buy this publication when they were available. I hope this clears up what I was trying to say.

Attachments

• 20240314_171809.jpg
    20240314_171809.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240314_171851.jpg
    20240314_171851.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Greetings Rudyard,
Not meaning to be obscure. I use to do buisness with Ken Trotman Ltd in England. (Book sellers). In their catalog they would offer a very nice "Magazine" called The London Park Lane Arms Fair and when it was in their catalog I would order it even though it was 30 pounds per copy, but had lots of righteous information. In the Article I am sending , Brian C. Godwin, John S. Cooper, & Michael G. Spencer wrote: The English Flintlock: it's Origin and Development. After this most were writen by Brian C. Godwin. Like I said I would buy this publication when they were available. I hope this clears up what I was trying to say.
Dear Henry It doesn't look like I did reply some times I miss stuff didn't mean to be ornery I've made probably all the variants of English lock plus pure dog catch only & Snaphances includeing the Scots ones all of them have their peculiarities but generaly deliver a desired long powerfull blow of the flint into the Battery or steel or if you persist frizzen, Just don't call the 'cock' a' hammer 'like' steel' & 'battery 'the 'Hammer' was another term for what's now called a frizzen
Shakespeare asks" What's in a name? Would that which we call a rose by any other name smell more sweet ?" Might fit our conundrum But I'me unlikley to change current miss usage.
Rudyard

Back