• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

cleaning

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes. Literally one drop of dish washing soap per pint of H2O. All you have to do is break the surface tension of the water to make it "wetter". Everything in BP fouling is water soluable.

I was going to say I use a bit more detergent than that . . . but when I got to thinking 8 pints to the gallon I saw it's not much more than that. The soap (acting as a "surficant") will also encapsulate crud so that it doesn't reattach to the barrel walls and that helps in the mechanical removal of fouling solids that are not water soluable. It definetaly improves ove plain water. But you only need a small amount.

On the subject of cleaning, do you guys remove your lock after cleaning. I have found water under my lock after cleaning so I feel like I need to remove it and make sure it's dry. I did just built a cleaning rest so I can clean it laying down with the stock facing up instead of pointing the barrel up in the air. I hope that and just being a little more careful will keep the mess to a minimum.

I like the Dawn myself. Use it for my 1861 Springfield works great just fill the barrel with hot water let it run out the nipple.

Back