• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cleaning solvents for Pyrodex.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unfortunate you can not access the internet. Rumor has it one can find access to all sorts of things there, including blackpowder.

Fair point. Unfortunately hazmat fees and minimum order volumes, plus the slow rate at which I burn through powder, make it uneconomical to purchase online. Without turning this into a political thread, storage and transport laws in my locality are also prohibitively restrictive. When I travel, I do actively seek out black powder AND percussion caps, but for me, Pyrodex is the easy button.

I find ‘absolutely no access to black powder where I live’ quite different than ‘uneconomical to purchase online’. Guess it would be silly to look at local clubs and possible group purchases to spread out the Hazmat charges or other potential solutions. As long as you are happy, everything is good.

I find ‘absolutely no access to black powder where I live’ quite different than ‘uneconomical to purchase online’. Guess it would be silly to look at local clubs and possible group purchases to spread out the Hazmat charges or other potential solutions. As long as you are happy, everything is good.
And that is where it should end.

Indeed, soapy water works great after one is finished shooting.

For field cleaning and/or necessary cleaning at the range, the best solvent I have found, by far, is Thompson Center 17 in a spray bottle. The stuff is amazing at how fast and well it cleans.

So what seems to work better the ammonia or the vinegar? It seems both or either would be harmful to blued surfaces.
I have the same question as Eutycus here, how does the Vinegar Windex do with the various finishes? I've used vinegar to remove light rust or hard water stains in the past and I'd be worried about extended contact with blue, or especially rust blue and plumb brown. It's about an hour from where I shoot to where I clean, provided I don't get distracted along the way. 😅

Latest posts

Back