• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cleaning Patent Breech

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bakerj

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Have a new Pedersoli Hawken .54 with a patent & hooked breech. Had problems with misfires on my 3rd outing (thank heavens for CO2) and correctly assumed I hadn't done a good enough job cleaning the fire path (not sure what the correct term is) in the breech. Took the barrel off the stock and found a screw in the lateral drilling; took that out was able to clean that drilling and the one up to the nipple. However, couldn't get a wire or pipe cleaner from that drilling to the one at right angle that goes into the breech. Any ideas? I've used a 22 Cal cleaning brush with patch down the bore but that may just push the gunk back into the lateral drilling.

Try a .35 cal brush for the patent breech.

Do you flush with warm soapy water when you clean? If you do you shouldn't have to worry about fouling buildup.

When I clean I pour some BP solvent down the bore with the nipple plugged. Run a .35 cal brush into the breech and turn it a few times. Run a .54 brush up and down a few times. Pull the nipple and put the breech end in a bucket of warm soapy water. Pump water through the bore with 4-5 patches. Rinse and dry.

Sounds like you might have had oil or moisture in the breech, not fouling.

HD

Thanks for reply, could be I had oil or moisture, I know I hadn't done a very good job in cleaning that area and it was very humid yesterday. I'll try capping the nipple & using brush in pail of hot soapy water. Would still like to find a way to be 100% sure I had all passages in patent breach clean.

After cleaning the powder chamber and flash channels with pipe cleaners, and soap and water, Use alcohol to dry the barrel, chamber, and flashchannel out. The alcohol will evaporate after neutralizing any oils or grease. Just make sure you pour and flush out the alcohol.

hawk54 said:
Thanks for reply, could be I had oil or moisture, I know I hadn't done a very good job in cleaning that area and it was very humid yesterday. I'll try capping the nipple & using brush in pail of hot soapy water. Would still like to find a way to be 100% sure I had all passages in patent breach clean.
I've been shooting TC barrels with their patent breeches for about 17 years and they're actually very easy to keep clean.
After EVERY TIME I shoot, whether 50 shots at the range or one shot at a deer, I submerge the breech end in a bucket of steaming hot soapy water and let it soak while I'm cleaning up the lock assembly.
Then pump flush the bore so hot soapy water is forced in and out of the fire channel and nipple itself.
Then spin out the nipple and pump flush a few more times to ensure the nipple seat is clean as well.
Then pour a coffee can of clean hot water down bore and out the nipple seat as a rinse.
Get everything "100% bone dry" and lube it up good.
Never had a problem caused by any buildup in the patent breech.

What everyone else said. Also pop a few caps through your empty barrel next time you go to shoot, with the muzzle pointed close to the ground. The cap will have enough force to kick up a little dust if the pathway is clear, and if there is a little gunk left in the breech, most times the cap will blow it out, at least in my experience.

Thanks again for comments and advice. Yes, I always pop a couple of caps before loading, but thinking back on this last outing when I had the problem, while the cap kicked up a little dust it wasn't as much as before. This is a fun learning experience, I'll eventually get it right.

Back