• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Those pesky Pedersoli Patent (Breeches)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Because I can sir. I believe in free speech and expression if not offensive.
I feel sorry you think differently.
Maybe you can petition for some new rules.
I too don’t mess with brushes or q-tips in my patent breeches. I find that when Normal cleaning of the barrel, removing the liner or nipple, then a final blast of brake cleaner to rid the barrel of water before oiling leaves it pretty spotless. When I go to shoot again I blast the oil out with brake cleaner from touch hole or nipple hole which cleans it again. I have a range at home and I’m a member of a club where we shoot monthly. I shoot my guns a LOT! I’ve never had an issue with a dirty patent breech. I too got a 22 jag stuck one time so I switched to this method.

Original Hawkens had a patent breech like this actually, which I always found interesting. It was not used on (most) military muskets of the time. The Italians have an extreme fondness for them and they can be found in Italian repros where they’d have never been seen on original guns the repros are based off of.

There's a place called Ft Chambers Muzzleloaders outside Lancaster. He sells an assortment of brass /Jagg extensions in both rod diameter and calibers. All seem to be about 6" long. I bought three for both of my brass range rods in .45, .50 and .58. my brass range rods were either too long or too short without them.

i always enjoy visiting the Fort Chambers shop. those boys are the best

Looks like a unique technique to me. I'll certainly give it a shot.

I fell for the "seasoning" and bore butter and pyrodex hooey when I was young (teenager). I was pretty much learning on my own with no experienced mentor or internet to help. I ruined two sidelocks and went to an unmentionable. My ignorant expectation was a muzzleloader would last at most 5 years. I was also plauged with hangfires and missfires that cost me some deer along the way.

That was before I found this forum and your plethora of experience. Since then, I have sworn off pyrodex, and use WD 40 to displace residual water from my barrel after cleaning. I also use windex to clean my nipple and flash channel to mitigate any crossive compounds from percussion caps. So far I've had my Deerstalker for nine years and it's good as new. I am curious to get into flintlocks but it may have to wait until life circumstances change. When I do, I know where to come for sage advice.

Latest posts

Back