• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cleaning between shots

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
roundball,,whattya mean you have no idea what I'm refering too??
,,Bill old buddy,,you have no idea what I'm refering too?? :bull:

right,,and babies come from a cabbage patch.

Fact: since the 80's you have used T/C arms and they have treated you so well you can see no reason to change,,

Fact: you won't try a firearm not made by T/C.And because of that have no knowledge of other than T/C.

When did a "coil" spring "flint lock" get invented anyways?? and whats Stainless Steel got to do with "traditional" arms??? and or the T/C warrenty???

Don't get"dumb" now roundball,,you post all over the place and we/you know it.

Fact: roundball shoots a bunch but never wins,, if he'd take the "blinders" off,, we could help,,but he won't so we can't,, factory greased bore buttons,fake spit,,store bought pre-cut patch an factory consieved "Max" loads is the only thing he can see,,,

Let it rest roundball,, if you have issue with me then just PM,, we'll share and make it right then

Your statements sure are puzzling...the post was about wiping between shots...there's no correlation whatsoever between all these statements and wiping between shots.

Instead of discussing 'wiping between shots', it seems like you've decided to launch an attack on the the choice of rifles that I shoot...equipment that I use...even the lube?

If that's the case, I'm sorry but you'll just have to get over it...I'll decide of course what I'll use and it's not open to debate. Seems very puzzling that the kind of rifle a total stranger uses would upset another total stranger like you seem to be over this .

I have no idea who you are but I wish you well anyway...and I'll tell you now that I won't be responding to any more posts such as yours that take unprovoked issue with my choice of rifles, what or how I shoot, coilsprings, patches, stainless steel, wiping between shots, natural lube, conicals, or anything else that might concern you... have a good day.

As moderator of this Forum I must make a few comments.

I really don't see where challenging another forum member with abusive belligerence is conducive to a positive dialog.
If a person wants to champion his views that's fine however it should be done in a positive manner without repeatedly attacking the knowledge, intelligence or abilities of a forum member.

Although the dialogs on posts often vary from the subject we should all try to keep the thoughts going into a post as close to the subject as we can.

As Moderator I had the option of leaving this post as it was, totally erasing it, or editing it.
I took the liberty of editing it in such a way that it contains all of the useful information as the unedited post.

Shall we now get back to the friendly discussions everyone expects to see in these forums?

To roundball,,
No puzzlement about it,,stand for what ya know or don't.And you don't know nuthin but FoxRidge ph#!!

personally I wish you well also,,
But I also wish you wouldn't give advise on stuff ya don't know about!,if ya don't know then don't say it,,if ya cain't help then just pass it by.

I tend to let the Forum run itself, with the help of the Moderators, but I have to comment on this.

The Forum exists so we can share our opinions and experiences. I don't know any of you and I would not begin to evaluate your knowledge or experience. In addition to my own experiences, I learn by listening to varying opinions and drawing my own conclusions.

Feel free to disagree with information posted here, but do not attack the personal integrity of the person doing the posting.

If you have a personal issue with someone, that's between you and them, do not post it here.

I sent a PM to "zonie" and I hope "claude" reads it too!

I say what I say when I mean it,, and I'll not be not heard, if they don't like that then ,,good luck too ya,,

Big brother is watching!! and he don't like it if you don't think like him!

"NOLDGUY" said... I say what I say when I mean it,, and I'll not be not heard, if they don't like that then ,,good luck too ya,,

Big brother is watching!! and he don't like it if you don't think like him!

I think you misunderstood what I said. I am not Big Brother and I don't give a hoot what you do in your personal life.

However, I own this forum and you are a guest here. Your private message to Zonie speaks volumes about you as a person and you are no longer welcome here. Your account has been deleted.

Claud:
Nice job handling the "troll". I'm a moderator on another forum, also black powder, and have been very fortunate that I have not had to deal with those kinds of comments.
I hope I never do.
Anyway I do personally appeciate your active participation in keeping things clean. We can disagree, strongly if necessary, but you are absolutely right in that we cannot attack or insult anyone.
Thank You
maxi

Aline:
There have been many arguments as to swabbing or not between shots. Me and rollingb have taken some good natured shots at each other over this topic many times.
You gotta keep in mind that rollingb is getting old (we are the same age) and his mind slips and he tends to doze ........zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
huh! What? Oh, the swabbing thing.
I use rubbing alcohol, one moist patch, followed by a dry patch.
I believe that keeping the bore in a consistant condition is condusive to good accuracy.
I'm an unrepentant swabber, rollingb ain't.
Now I hate to admit this but rollingb is one of the aweful influences that got me into traditional shooting in the first place.
My wallet will never forgive him. :bull:

Aline: I have swabed between shots for years. Have used avbout every concoction you can think of for ML. I prefer Lehigh Lube for loading & swabbing now. I go to WalMart & in cosmetics they have a lil 2 ox pump/spray bottle & I use 2 squirts on a patch for loading & 3 for swabbing. If it is very humid I cut it to 2-2. Moosemilk dow well also or you could just use water in the bottle.
Also you will find it you modify your jag to where the front land is about .010 smaller than the remaining lands the jag will work better. If they are all the same size thr first land grabs the cruds in the barrel & pushes them into the breech, thus creating a possilbe fouled breech. I like the jag to be about .025 to .030 under bore size & I swab with old tee shirt materials & not a tight swab, just a consistant, down & back one time. The key to good groups is consistancy in Everything.

Anyway I do personally appeciate your active participation in keeping things clean. We can disagree, strongly if necessary, but you are absolutely right in that we cannot attack or insult anyone.

I prefer to stay out of things if at all possible. The content of the message to Zonie was something that most of us would not have stood for had it been delivered in person. That is what caused the action, not necessarily what was posted publicly.

Claude,.... Maxiball and I, both know what it's like to git those kind'a "messages" (and e-mails) from the "same fella" over on different sites!!

Rollingb, Your right, must be that dry Mt. air or that Apple Pie in our spit.
Deadeye

Aline mentioned something I've heard lots of times; That BP guns shoot best with fowling in the barrel. When loading without swabing between shots you will be pushing the fowling down the bore on top of the powder charge,possibly sealing the patch better than if the bore were clean. (fowling doesn't burn and may help protect the patch) Also there seems to be more resistance to getting the ball moving in a barrel loaded with fowling. This will have an effect on velocity (increasing it for some guns, because of pressure buildup, and decreasing it for others, I don't know why)
Birddog touched on another issue, that of humidity. I expect fowling plays a greater role in dry environments because it would be less soft. Temperature definitely plays a role. When I shoot near freezing temps the ball is always harder to load and my groups seem to suffer, (Could be my numb fingers too) but I think it is the stiff fowling causing my problems.
Bottom line: I believe wiping between shots helps reduce the varriables just mentioned. What you use probably isn't important. How you do it probably doesn't matter. Just getting the bore cleaner in a consistant, reproduceable manner should help in all situations.
Another observation: I think longer barrels (35" +) seem to have more issue with fowling, especially in the cold.

Aline, get a package of Baby wipes cut to size and put back in same packet...they smell better! you can also keep your hands cleaner

Maxi,.... If'n I remember correctly, I'm 'bout 4 months older'n you!! ::

Now!!.. be'ns I'm older'n you, this absolutely proves thet "swab'n 'tween shots" is a (rather) new "fad",... thet must'a started somewhers 'round tha "time/month" you was born'ed!! :D

First,I'm glad to see that troublemakers (trolls) who post personal attacks toward other members,are not tolerated on the Forum. The other thing I'd like to mention is the Dutch Scholtz Accuracy System, If top accuracy,is Your goal,this system will provide it.My son purchased it,and sent it to me a few years ago.For general paper punching and plinking,applying "all" the points D.S. suggests makes for too much work for me.ButI do use some of the techniques most all the time.One of the most important of witch is swabbing between shots.And as most here have mentioned,it's important to do it exactly the same every time.He suggest a patch dampened in moose milk,that is quite tight in the bore.I most often use spit or water unless going for the ultimate groups.There is a great deal of good information in this corse,well worth the price.He,ll refund Your money if you don't like the material. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gifGordy

Aline,

I just started shooting BP (non pyrodex), but for all it's worth I licked the patches and swab'd between shots, and found that after a bit it still got a sticky by the ring at the bottom. I changed that and on each third shot I'd swab with the new butches bore shine and then ran a dry patch. It seem'd to work pretty good.

Spot

Back