• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cleaning between shots

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aline

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello,

Usually I wipe the bore between shots. After each shot I lick a clean patch, run it once thru the barrel and then discard it. Then I

When I used to wipe between shots, I would put a stack of patches in a margerine tub and soak them with TC #13. (you could do the same thing with water)

Then I'd momentarily set the stack on something like a plastic lid from a big coffee can and press all the excess liquid out of the patches (the lids edge catches the excess)

Then I'd set the stack back into the margerine tub and seal it with it's own lid...keep a tub in the shooting box.

Set the tub on the bench at the range and just lift one out, wipe the bore, toss it in the trash, etc.

Only takes a few minutes to make up a few tubs and they stay damp 'forever' as long as the tub remains sealed.

Aline: I know of others who use a spray bottle on their cleaning patches rather than saliva,as long as the gun is cleaned and a preseritive used after the shooting session,no harm will befall the bore! What method do You use to clean the weapon? I use tap water and a small amount of Dawn dish soap to clean mine.After the bore is cleaned I use boiling water to rinse it and raise the tempeture so it dries well than I add the preservitive for storage.alcohol is also good to use between shots,and as a drier after cleaning.Another product that works well between shots is Windex or windshield washer fluid.none of thease will harm Your gun. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif Gordy

I'm a tween shot swabber too! It works and shoots the best know matter what they say,, keeping a consistant bore is key to shot too shot accuracy. I use pre cut .22 cleaning patches,just cause their small, cheap and uniform (same)! I pop one in,wet it,suck it dry and use it. quick and clean, ain't no tounge.
It doesn't matter how the swab patch is prepared as long as it's the same each time. Single swabs can be prepared, using any lube before shooting and kept in a film canister for individual use later,,Don't gross-out here,,I don't keep spit in a film canister! Water dosen't work well,,it evaporates too quick,spit is mucous and saline,,truth.
Find an empty "eyedrops" bottle,,and fill it with whatever lube ya want,,then you can put one drop on each patch each time,,or two drops,,,get it?? There are many commercial lubes on the market,,pick one and use it the same each time and it'll likley work. Just do it the same each time.
eliminate the variables,=,accuracy (period)

I'm a tween shot swabber too! It works and shoots the best know matter what they say

You probably didn't mean for that statement to sound quite as strong as it does...I shoot entire range sessions without wiping between shots at all, using natural lube 1000 in wonderwads & patches...will do another 40 shots again tomorrow morning :: ::

Wow, that stuff would put rollingb outta biz. He's been trying to sell his spit on eBay.

Regards, sse

SSE,.... I had some innerested folks call'n me fer prices too,..... 'til someone started advertise'n thet "synthetic stuff"!! :curse: :: ::

rollingb,.... purveyor of the "real thing"!! ::

rollingb - Don't worry. There will always be the eccentric, discriminating shooter who will only be satisfied with the real thing. ::

Regards, sse

Don't worry. There will always be the eccentric, discriminating shooter who will only be satisfied with the real thing. ::

Spit scalping at the shooting range... :haha:

I can hear it now...

"pssst! Hey buddy..."

"You want spit?"

"I can get you real spit for $20.00"

I keep denatured alcohol in little eye drop bottles that I save and use that to put a drop or two on a patch to clean between shots.I use Wonder Lube,but I still seem to get a ring in my barrels,sometimes more than others,I guess depending on temperture or humidity.I even started a thread on this forum a short while ago about this.I usually run a dry patch after the alcohol patch,but wonder if I really have to,since the alcohol dries so fast.

When my plastic bottle of BP cleaner was out, I just filled it with dishsoap and water and put like 2 drops on the patch, just enough to dampen it not saturate it, and use only the one patch between shots, works great., I am still in love with my GPR, my mostest favorite gun in my collection.

I order surgical gauze from a medical or veterinary supply wharehouse. 2X2" or 3X3" works great in 50 cal and up and is the cheapest cleaning patch i've found. (about $8 / 1000) I wipe between shots with one of these gauze patches damp with T/C #13 I don't see why plain water wouldn't work though.

Aline,
I got that one! a blind shooter needing a guide dog ta lick the patch!!! ( it might just pass! you could call it "zen" shooting!). You could always quote the American disabilities Act of 69',,bwwaaggg! :)

Ind.Immigrant,,
I read your previous thread,,denatured alcohol by it's self won't work. you need more water and a mild sufficant, and a more consistant technique for repetitive shooting.
Anyone can bang off 10-15 shot's and be accurate to a degree,(if you know your rifle!). But, mixing several different styles of shooting ain't gonna make ya a good shooter.

Roundball,,
theres a whole nuther world beyond Thompsen Center! try it some tyme. The other locks,(the old kind?)without a coilspring,really do work,,ya know?,,the ones that don't use stainless steel? :no: ya,ya,ya,,you can shoot all day,,yada,yadda,,,,,hhrrummppff!,yawn.

One of the best shooter that I've shot with uses nothing but alcohol. Wets his shooting patches with alcohol, then wipes between shots with alcohol patch, no dry patches. It certainly works for him but I've tried it and it didn't work for me. Spit works for me and I don't wipe between shots because the spit wipes it every time you load a ball.
Aline, if you feel you have to wipe between shots just take a spray bottle of windex and spray your patches, either take the bottle with you or put them in a ziplock bag, spray them and zip them up.

Roundball,, theres a whole nuther world beyond Thompsen Center! try it some tyme. The other locks,(the old kind?)without a coilspring,really do work,,ya know?,,the ones that don't use stainless steel? :no: ya,ya,ya,,you can shoot all day,,yada,yadda,,,,,hhrrummppff!,yawn.

No idea what you're referring to...I'll try to make it more clear for you by saying that my comment had nothing to do with rifles, didn't mention brands, didn't mention locks, etc. I had simply replied to your previous statement where you said:

"I'm a tween shot swabber too! It works and shoots the best know matter what they say"

I replied to say that "...I shoot entire range sessions without wiping between shots at all, using natural lube 1000 in wonderwads & patches..."

In summary:

Fact:
Wiping between every shot is not the only way, or the best way...it's just one way.

Fact:
Ran 40 consecutive shots through a .45cal flinter yesterday morning, never knapped or replaced the flint, and never patched the bore.

The use of NL1000 has nothing to do with what rifles it's used in, or what brand of lock is on a rifle, or whether it's a percussion lock, or a flint lock, etc.

Sorry it wasn't clear the first time, hope this helps.

I guess I do it a little different from everyone else. I just leave a gallon milk jug about half full of water under my little portable shooting bench down at the hunting club range.

I use Goex Black Powder. When I'm trying to develop an accuracy load for hunting, after each shot I pour a little water over a cleaning patch. Squeese out any excess and swab the bore. I turn the patch over and swab again. I then run a dry patch, usually one made from those blue Wal-Mart paper shop towels, to dry the bore before re-loading. I like to have the bore about the same as it will be at the first shot when hunting.

If I'm just plinking around and having fun, with a patched ball, I use Mama Flinter's Moose Milk patch lube. I can usually shoot several rounds without having trouble loading. Although accuracy is not the best, minute of soda can is sufficent for plinking. :)

Deadeye,.... I don't "swab" 'tween shots neither, and I've been use'n "spit" fer lube, a great many years!!

I notice thet yore from Utah, and I'm from Wyoming,.... kind'a makes me wunder if live'n out here in this part of tha country, might have sumpthin to do with make'n our "spit" sort'a SPECIAL!! ::
(Maybe it's tha "rot-gut" we drink 'round tha campfire, combined with "mountain air"!! ::)

Back