• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Clay Pipes

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I too love a really nice smoke from a good clay pipe and prefer the Tavern long stemmed clays. If I'm out running around I take one of the shorter stemmed pipes. They fit nicely tucked into the side fold of my tricorn hat. You can find good buys on pipes all over the place. If you are a regular at any of the rendezvous many of the sutlers there have plenty in stock. I bought a few from someone who makes them here on the site and wish I could remember as he really made some nice ones that smoke very well. A good quality clay will last you years and years. If you really want to spend the coin you can order them direct from Holland where they are still hand crafted and they produce some fantastic tavern style pipes at reasonable prices just search the web and they will pop up all over the place.

I've smoked a pipe for nearly 60 years and find clays just aren't the best. Carry and smoke one when I want to be pc. Have tried various blends of kinnikinick and don't like that either. for pure smoking pleasure, try a meerschaum pipe with Penzance or some similar english latakia-virginia-oriental blend. graybeard

I have 2 clay pipes from Turkey Foot...a long and a short one, I enjoy both depending on the ocaasion...I made a leather wrap for the bowl as I ALWAYS forget and grab the bowl, wrap works just fine.

my 2cents

God Bless

Lee

Longhunter, I've never seen one before, but that tool you show looks to me like it is a pair of pliers for getting hold of a coal along with a tamper and pick. I've been smoking a pipe for donkey's years, and that is one of the neatest looking bits of smoking ephemera I've ever clapped eyes on :thumbsup: . Is it original or modern-made? If the latter, where did you get it please?

Just wondering...what is the history of wood pipes- the type now used? Are they pc?

Longhunter, I've never seen one before, but that tool you show looks to me like it is a pair of pliers for getting hold of a coal along with a tamper and pick. I've been smoking a pipe for donkey's years, and that is one of the neatest looking bits of smoking ephemera I've ever clapped eyes on . Is it original or modern-made? If the latter, where did you get it please?

The pipe tongs are as you described. I've had it for so many years that I don't remember where I got it. I'm sure it was created by some artistic smith. I've never seen another like it but someone should start making them because it a very handy tool for the pipe smoker around the camp fire.

I was talking to a dealer at the Living History show last March about some of the clay pipes that he had for sale. I mentioned that clay pipes were fun to smoke but that I like a wooden brier pipe better for a good smoke. He said, " you can't have a pipe made out of wood, it'll burn up" He wouldn't believe me when I tried to explain it to him. Some people live a very sheltered life... :haha:

Thanks a lot Longhunter, you are so right about somebody oughta make them. Besides the great functionality, that one of yours is too cool to live.

As to briars and their historicity, nay, nay, nay. My brain is soft now, so I can't be categorical, but as I remember, the progression was from clays to meers to briar with the latter not coming in until late in the 19th century. When the cobs first became popular, I can't remember, but they are without doubt my favorites. Cool, dry, and dirt cheap. They smoke better than meers as far as I'm concerned.

Nice discussion. Have two reed stemmed pipes from Jim Kimpell. Good smokers.
My favorite pipes, though, are two Manx meerschaums - certainly not PC but great pipes.
Penzance - top shelf. Sadly, I heard that it was going out of production.
For an all round good smoke, one of Rattray's Virginias or PipeWorks and Wilke's #10.
Pete

What about "pipestone" (soapstone?) pipes...the first immigrants were making them around here who knows how early...and how do you guys tend to light if there's no campfire handy?

Yep, good discussion.
While we are reminiscing, there was an old timer who came to Friendship and sold genuine trade pipes there. His name was Parker Tabor or Tabor Parker, I never got it right. He dug them up along the Ohio river somewhere, wouldn't share the secret with anyone. I bought many of his seconds over the years, the perfects were too expensive for me. But, now I wish I had bought at least one. I gave most of them away to friends over the years and have only a few left. They are all reed stemed, he cut the reeds himself.

I don't want to contravene the rule against religious discussion, If this does, please remove it with my apologies, I'll keep it simple, quick and as non-religious as possible.

Using a red pipestone or catlinite pipe for recreational smoking on the part of non-natives would not be considered good form by those who use it in a traditional manner.

I understand the 'reply' mechanism here. But, to be clear, the trade pipes I mentioned were made from clay in Ohio.
I don't know about the catlinite ceremonial beliefs and cannot comment.

totally agree! i have several pipes but a cheapo 3-4 buck corncob smokes cooler than any ive ever had!

With a pipe with a reed stem is there any way to get a better seal where the reed meets the bowl. Seems I get more air than smoke...

I've noticed that too.
I wrapped the end of the reed with artificial sinew and it helped alot, I spose thread would work too. Just wrap it into a cone/wedge shape.
A little wax might not hurt.

Re: Soapstone Pipes - Having spent many years in the Granite, Marble, and Soapstone Countertop Biz, I can tell you that the soft "Carving Grade" Soapstones are loaded with Asbestos - and the rate of Lung disease amongst the Native Inuit & Eskimo Carvers proves it. The Soapstone we used for Countertops was "Countertop" grade, much closer to Serpentine actually, (not even a true Soapstone IMHO), and although virtually asbestos free, is harder than nails, and even a carbide drill may not be up to the task. Virtually all our tooling was diamond tipped. Many a time I had to deal with customer concerns over Soapstone & Asbestos, and over the years solicited and obtained much info & documentation from Producers & Quarries to assure them of the difference between the soft soapstones & what we used...

Eric

Back