• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Mixed clay marbled pipes

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Sure looks cute. I’ve resisted tgem since I can’t find historical example. And clay pipes are a dozen to the dime. Thay were throw away pipes back then. And if you get to an original rendezvous site there about all the evidence that shows up
But does anyone know of an historic example of this
23931234-2743-4193-A91A-A03733447915.jpeg

No, I don't know any historical references. I have heard of clay pipes referred to in the literature as "twofers" because they allegedly sold at two for a penny. And if it ain't true...well it should be. ;)

No, I don't know any historical references. I have heard of clay pipes referred to in the literature as "twofers" because they allegedly sold at two for a penny. And if it ain't true...well it should be. ;)
I can well believe it. They were cheap throwaway
And the marble effect looks good and they were cast with motifs
There are archeological pipes a plenty, and while most are white some other colored clay shows up
But I’m afeared I gots me a reinactoism
But it shore is pret😊

Some one pleeeease tell me where you can find these cheap?
I just paid $11.00 for a 6" long pipe and that didn't include the s&h. Mine isn't marbled, just a plain hand rolled clay pipe.
Thank you,.
God bless:
Two Feathers

I just paid $11.00 for a 6" long pipe and that didn't include the s&h. Mine isn't marbled, just a plain hand rolled clay pipe.
Thank you,.
God bless:
Two Feathers
Found pipeshoppe.com 9.99 for red english marbles. 15.99 for dutch marbles

Thank you,.
God bless:
Two Feathers
I don’t know who all carrys them. However on line the first place I saw them was Turkey Foot Traders LLC then over last year or so on Crazy Crow.
Turkey foot is an A1 company in my book. And for Crazy crow I’ve never had any cause to complain about their excellent service and the quality of their products for the money spent

There's this painting by Miller of a mountain man with a clay pipe being carried around his neck. Seems impossible.

There's this painting by Miller of a mountain man with a clay pipe being carried around his neck. Seems impossible.
How do you figure that? I'm familiar with the sketch you're referring to. And if you look closely,
the trapper has this little heart shaped pouch strung around his neck. The pouch has a couple of loops through which the stem of the pipe is inserted. It's actually a pretty convenient way to carry a short stemmed clay pipe with you.

Clay pipes were common and cheap not designed to last. I’ve never smoked one, but I’m sure they worked very well. Just like anything else you own, it will last a long time if your careful and take care of it. If you drop it or sit on it, not so much.

I think those didn’t become popular till after 1820. I can’t find any thing on them before that the steamship Arabia had a hundred onboard and stems sold separately
There’s a box of my old trinkets at my Son’s house. That pipe could well be in there. I’ll have to look for it as the 1800- 1840 is more my period.

Back