• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Clay Pipes

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ericb

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I know there's different vendors of Clay Pipes out there; anybody have any thoughts or recommendations? Mainly intertested in 17th/18th Century long stems...

Eric

Speaking from the practical side, go for one with the wooden stem. Long or short, the clay is really hard on teeth.

I can't recall the vendor, but someone here posted a link to some pretty cool clay pipes with wood stems, and IIRC, they're supposedly historically correct. For me, if they're going to be used and not just image props, practical is tops.

I went with a reed pipe (PC) because every clay pipe I ever had broke about 5 minutes after I started using it.

Just personal,I've tried 2 like the full clay found in the link, and the Jas townsend reed stem and they just ain't pleasurable ta smoke.
Corn cob seems better, an Briar best. Never studied if the wood bowls are pc but I can't imagine they're not.
I don't think a feller hankerin for a smoke would NOT smoke his tobacco just cause he ain't got a clay pipe.
:idunno:

You want a clay made from CLAY, not slipcast andas to clay being hard on your teeth, balderdash! I say. Take some sealing wax, heat the end of the stem up and rub it on, works fine. I have several clays and if you are some careful they will last for ever. To clean a clay, you just set it in the evening coals before bed and in the morning you have a new pipe, clean as the day you bought it.

I've never been a heavy smoker, but enjoy a Bowl of Good Honest Virginia from time to time. Have had a couple faithful Briars, and many a CornCob has passed thru the Ranks. Familiar with Clays; just haven't bought one in a long time, and simply would like a couple to round out the collection, and also to use as accent in my Home's (loosely) 18th Century Decor.

Re: Corncobs: I tell people the Corn Cob Pipe is like Aspirin - if they weren't so cheap & readily available they would be hailed as a Miracle...

E

I like a reed or a bone stem. Here's a picture of my "original" clay bowl with a reed stem, I've had it for 35 years.

smokin_stuff.JPG

Not a good picture of the pipe but this is another "original" clay pipe that I'm smoking. It use to have a reed stem that I replaced with a turkey wing bone stem.

turkey_hunt2011%203.JPG

Eric,

I prefer the long stemmed clays but only smoke one during a leisure time when I have a hand free. I don't like to clamp teeth on the clay so I use a hand to support the stem. A good pressed Virginia is my favorite tobacco but for the clay I shred it very fine for easier lighting and smoking.

Jeff

ericb said:
Mainly intertested in 17th/18th Century long stems...
Just out of curiosity I searched my database of major 18th-century newspapers to see what I could find mentioned about pipes. I knew I had seen many references to them, mostly just "long and short pipes" offered for sale. My impression was correct, I found 565 references to "long and short", which I assume are clay pipes. Speaking of which, I found not a single reference to clay pipes. Also no Meerschaum or briar, no surprise. I did find a few mentions of these types:

tavern
common
hunter's
ivory
London
Bristol
tobacco

Spence

I prefer a long stem, but I find reed stems more practical in the woods.

trekker1a.jpg

Notice the pipe box on the wall to the right.

Haven't smoked for 10 years, but I surely did enjoy my pipes on the trail at night when I did.

Spence

Jim Kimpell of HighHorse Trading usually has some hand-rolled clay pipes. I don't think they're listed on his website, but just contact him to find out if any are in stock. As Dennis Miles noted, these are much more correct than the cast ones, and more durable.
http://www.highhorsetrading.com/

Rod

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there a difference in quality on the all-clay pipes? Maybe the ones I used were just cheap knock offs. On either the all-clay or reed stem/clay bowl- IMHO they smoke hot as compared to corncob or wood but then that shouldn't be the point if we are trying to recreate what was.

A real clay pipe compared to slipcast is more durable, gives a cooler smoke and can be cleaned by putting it in the coals at night. It will also darken wiith use over the years.

BRB - I don't like holding them in my teeth either. When I did use 'em I enjoyed a slow smoke, holding stem with hand, just as they are usually depicted in contempory art. I remember seeing a Documentary on Napoleon's Russia Campaign. They had found the remains of a French Soldier, and the Teeth in the Skull had a perfect circle worn out of the front teeth. They couldn't figure it out, till the realized the hole in the teeth was a perfect match with the Clay Pipe stem they found with the guy...now that's a serious Smoker....

The Bowl gets realy hot, but always seemed the Smoke itself was tolerable cool, at least if puffing slowly. I figured it's kinda like an air cooled engine - fins get hot but oil stays cool.

Re: Turkey Bone Stems: I remember we used to play around doing Turkey Calls with our CornCobs. Never called one in, but did manage to strike up a conversation or two...

E

Back