• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Civil War Smoothbores

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adbranaman

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm thinking about doing some civil war reenacting again.I've yet to buy a rifle.What I want is a smoothbore to double as a shotgun.One sutler has a 1853 Enfield 58cal. smoothbore. Another sutler has a 1842 Springfield .69cal. smoothbore. Any thoughts? I'm leaning toward the Springfield,but it costs alot more. Almost twice the price.Also the springfield as a better shotgun,bigger bore- more shot. PS what happened to all the civil war smilies? :grin: :) :winking:

A lot depends on whether you're doing Federal or Confederate.There are several guns available for this period.
Tom Patton

The 1853 Enfields are rifled. Some of the 1842 Springfields are also. A good choice were money no object would be an 1816 Springfield conversion in .69 caliber. Pedersoli makes these conversions as well as the original flint versions which would be pc for early war but they cost twice as much as an Armi Sport 1842 smooth bore.

Stick to a .69 smoothbore and load it with buck and ball. A smoothbore .58 Enfield would not be historically correct.

I think I know the smoothbore Enfield of which you speak. It is a replica of an Indian army modle gun. After the mutiny the British did not trust the Indians with rifles and had a smooth bore enfield made. None of them were used in the civil war. I have a 42 and love it.

Thanks,
Mark C. Foster

A word of advice you may already know. If you're going to join a regiment find out what rifles are acceptable to them. If you're going to go it alone don't be surprised if some reenactments won't let you use a smoothbore. I've been to some that are real picky including Shiloh Tn. which is an early battle and they won't let you use a Mississippi rifle or a smoothbore. Both of which I daresay were in abundance at the real battle of Shiloh.

Go with the 42 Springfield. It is the most authentic repro out there, and will, depending on the unit, be an apt choice for either a Confederate or Federal impression. And it would be good for any scenario up to 1863.
Do yourself a favor. Invest in the quality stuff now, rather than buying the wrong stuff and then in a year or 2 going out and spending even more money.
As far as a flintlock Springfield, they are gorgeous, but way over priced, and AVN rules dictate no flintlocks will be allowed on the battlefield starting this year. Pity.

This is from Dixie Gun Works:PR0257 Pedersoli U.S. Model 1816 Percussion Conversion Musket. The musket had the highest product of any U.S. Flintlock musket and, converted to percussion, saw service in the Civil War. N/SSA approved.

PR0817 Dixie Model 1842 Springfield Musket -- Smoothbore. Lock plate is marked with the original markings and a date of 1847. Barrel is 42" long and smoothbore. NSSA approved.

Of course the second one is 1/2 the price of the first one. Both will serve you well in most any CW unit.

The Co. I'm talking to says their not worried about the make so much as how long.It has to be a 3 band rifle. It's a new Co. and haven't got to that picky stage. :blah: Thank the Lord! The Enfield I was looking at is that India model.If I do join up I'll proably get the 1842 and it's actually 2" longer then the 1861's. Wonder if it'd be good on turkeys? :hmm: Whats the big deal about smoothbores at reenactments? The averge Joe has no idea what the difference between a 1816,1842 ,1855,and 1861 Springfield is and how it relates to the Civil War. It would actaully be a great way to educate them.I think those OLD LADYS need to loosen up thier corsets :youcrazy: :rotf:

Well, if you are in a live five group, rifling does make a differant... but for blank charges :youcrazy:

If I needed a repo to look the part today, get banged up and never ever need to be fired live, I'd go for a nice Indian made soothbore musket if allowed... but if I needed a rifled bore... Italian made, baby. :winking:

Cheers,

David Teague
(Former member of the 1st OR Inf., CWSA... in the late 1970s-1980, a live fire group)

Bluebuck56 said:
Whats the big deal about smoothbores at reenactments? The averge Joe has no idea what the difference between a 1816,1842 ,1855,and 1861 Springfield is and how it relates to the Civil War. It would actaully be a great way to educate them.I think those OLD LADYS need to loosen up thier corsets :youcrazy: :rotf:

I think it's from trying to keep things as period as possible. While a smoothie would be correct for early battles by mid 1862 there were plenty of rifled guns to pick from. After the first days battle at Shiloh there were many old flinters and smoothies littering the battlefield. Most of them from their Southern owners dumping them for the better 61 Springfields and 61 Enfields the dead yanks had. Yeah that's right, in 61 the North bought more Enfields than the South did. Don't understand about the two band deal tho.

Live fire I can understand needing rifling.3 band rifles are reguired so you don't light up someones beard when your in the back(2nd.row).I knew that enfields were used a lot by the Union.Some regiments went from 1842's(rifled) to Enfields and then to 1861 Springfields by wars end. My reason for the 1842 is that I want a smoothbore with the looks of the Springfield. Thanks for all the input. :grin:

The ArmiSport '42 may be half the cost of the Pedersolis, but the quality is excellent. It will take everything from quail to moose and it is dead reliable. I seem to recall that some units were reluctant to give up their '42s for rifle-muskets because the old smoothbore was more versatile, especially when foraging. I wouldn't part with mine at any price.

i have had many 42s and every one shot well. the last one i had last year for hunting used it for everything from squirrel to deer. also carried one in reenacting. 42s were one of the most common muskets used on either side of the conlict up to 63 and with volunteer regiments. much of the irish brigade were armed with them and a Pennsylvania regiment used them on the bloody angle at gettysburg.

Myself, I'm a member of the CWSA, do alot of live fire matches. I love my 42 smoothbore, when you shoot a 46XX with a smoothbore, you know you've done well, just wish I could shoot a 50XXXXX with my old eye's. Next to the smoothbore, I enjoy shooting my Smith carbine.

No insult here, but I am curious as to why you would go with a smoothbore when you could do the live fire events with a rifled bore. I was at Regimental Quartermaster's tent during an event in South Carolina this weekend and ogling the Springfields. I think that one of these needs to be in my future; am struggling with whether to go smooth or rifle and had about decided on the rifle.

CS

I shoot, smoothbore, rifled musket, carbine and pistol. I enjoy all of them, but the smoothbore is the most fun seems like. Like I stated before, you know you done good when you turn in a score of 46XX, or higher with a smoothbore. Some shooters don't shoot that with a rifled musket, but they are still in it for the fun.

I like my smoothbore fusil de chasse, but if I were shooting to break a 4X4, I would want all of the advantages that I could get with rifling.

On the other hand, I understand the desire for a multipurpose gun.

CS

Most smoothbore shooters don't realize that in CWSA or NSSA shooting matches, you are not alouded to use a patch with your roundball, only powder and a roundball. So you have to find just the right combo with the smoothbore to get on the bullseye, and stay there. Myelf, I cast a .069 ball, then run it thru a .682 sizer, that way it will go down a barrel that has a few rounds thru it without getting stuck.

Shoot a '42 armi sport SB with .678 RB and 75FFFg It will destroy the 9&10 ring at 25 & 50 yds if you can hold it.

Back