• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Civil War .58 Caliber Musket Ball Diameter

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No
I don’t know if a .58 smoothbore made during or before the war. The .58s were made for a minie
Loyalist arms and it’s competitors make smooth .58 for reinactors to sell in countries that limits gun rights and imports. These will use a .562.
Many today shoot a ball in rifles .58 as it’s a cheaper load. However the rifeling is shallow usually three grove. So loads have to be relitivly light a .58 rifle may need a hundred grain charge or more for its best. But such high charges can strip a patch in the shallow rifeling. So you might do better with a .575 and thin patch.
Folks can do real well with a PRB in these guns but it’s not how the gun was designed.

I agree. The best load I have for a .58 rifled musket for a PRB is: 90 grs. FF, 1/4" felt wad and a tightly patched .570-.575 round ball; however, I did come across the mention of a 0.562" CW ball loading (don't have the reference--only a memory).

For Minie' balls, I have a Enfield reproduction from the 1970s import from the Enfield Co. and I sizing die for .577, if that helps.

Was the 0.562" ball the Civil War standard for .58 caliber muskets?
IF you're referring to minies, no, .574-5 supposed to be nominal. If you're looking at setting up a musket, don't trust that information as "the load". Modern repros vary widely in size and a loose fit will not shoot well.

Was the 0.562" ball the Civil War standard for .58 caliber muskets?
I had a .58 Zouve that would not shoot the "recommended" mini. I ended up having someone cast me up different dia. minis and I found some that would group well. The recommended minis key-holed at 50 yards even with max loads for that gun. Never tried RB though.

IF you're referring to minies, no, .574-5 supposed to be nominal. If you're looking at setting up a musket, don't trust that information as "the load". Modern repros vary widely in size and a loose fit will not shoot well.
To demonstrate further on Dave951, 1 bought a 50 cal that would not take a .50 maxi or a .490 RB with a thin patch. Had to go down to a .480 RB and a med patch. We lives and we learns.

I had a .58 Zouve that would not shoot the "recommended" mini. I ended up having someone cast me up different dia. minis and I found some that would group well. The recommended minis key-holed at 50 yards even with max loads for that gun. Never tried RB though.

This is a prime example of why I tell folks to be darned careful who they listen to when it comes to shooting minies. Lots of internet poohbahs, reenactor lore, crazy uncle jake hearsay, Utoob wannabees, and it's generally all garbage. If those who get one of these guns would just listen to those of us who shoot them with serious intent, they'd save tons of grief and money. We don't hide how to do it. It's not rocket science. The N-SSA has been around for 70 years. There are more than a few on this board who are or were members and are willing to share how to get a minie ball rifle to shoot. We're more than willing to help, folks just have to be willing to hear and learn.

No
I don’t know if a .58 smoothbore made during or before the war. The .58s were made for a minie
Loyalist arms and it’s competitors make smooth .58 for reinactors to sell in countries that limits gun rights and imports. These will use a .562.
Many today shoot a ball in rifles .58 as it’s a cheaper load. However the rifeling is shallow usually three grove. So loads have to be relitivly light a .58 rifle may need a hundred grain charge or more for its best. But such high charges can strip a patch in the shallow rifeling. So you might do better with a .575 and thin patch.
Folks can do real well with a PRB in these guns but it’s not how the gun was designed.

There was a 58 caliber smoothbore, it was a Cadet musket forget the model of it tho. The boys from VMI under Jackson carried them as it was what they where issued as cadets and its all they had.
However all rifled muskets and rifles where made for the minie.

Back