• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cigars

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
meden agan

"Nothing in Excess", from the Greek inscription on the Temple of Apollo, Delphi, Greece.

I do not smoke my pipe every day, nor even once a week. The same is true of cigars, and I don't smoke cigarettes.

I don't take alcohol in excess, as I once did as a youth, nor do I consume alcohol daily.

NOW if I could just not take in food to excess... I'd lower my chance at heart disease... :haha:

LD

Dr at the VA summed it up ,, the way to a longer life,, "If it taste good ,, spit it out ,,,if it feels good ,, quit ,,and you will live a long life !!!!!! unhappy but long !!!Just think of all the extra days we can have in an Assisted "Living" Center ,,,

I'll give that a try. I'll also talk to the people at the tobacco shop. Gives me another reason to go in there. :grin:

Don't worry about my burning any furniture. My wife won't let me light up in the house. I have an old chair outside that I rest in while I'm puffing on a cigar or now my pipe. I can sit there and watch the birds or look up and see the stars. It's very relaxing.

I have the feeling that where I'm going there will be a fire already started. LOL :rotf:

Like I heard once said, sure you can cut out the things that might give you a few years more to live, but the years they are talking about are the ones where you're weak, feeble, soiling yourself and just hating life. No sir, I'll enjoy my life and go out before I get to that point. :hatsoff:

Yeah, what he said. Why?

I bought two clay pipes off of ebay. One is a standard type clay pipe sold at any Rondy. The other is a clay bowl with a long reed type stem. Very period in my opinion (for what that's worth).

One of these days I've got to get a photobucket account and start sharing some pictures of my stuff. :doh:

Loyalist Dave said:
meden agan

NOW if I could just not take in food to excess... I'd lower my chance at heart disease... :haha:

LD

But then you'd be breaking manlaw and the reenacting sizing codes of XL and Bigger-Than-That.

Vomir le Chien said:
Dr at the VA summed it up ,, the way to a longer life,, "If it taste good ,, spit it out ,,,if it feels good ,, quit ,,and you will live a long life !!!!!! unhappy but long !!!Just think of all the extra days we can have in an Assisted "Living" Center ,,,

Ain't that the truth! I have cut down on some of my bad habits and the smoking thing is almost not existent anymore........however I still enjoy a good cigar. If it shortens my life...so be it. A wise man once said; "Life isn't about the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take our breath away"

Cigars take my breath away.....literally :rotf:

A whole BIL of mine so proud he quit smoking. I took him to a gun auction a few states away... Turned out he too smoked cigars now. We had a cigar on balcony of hotel. He was INHALING THEM!

Now THAT will take your breath away...

Charlie I would not encourage you to smoke if you don't want to. How ever there has never been a study conducted with solid scientific protocols that show a link between pipe smoking and any form of cancer.
I am an icu nurse, I have cared for a lot of cancer victums, never one that was a pipe smoker.

The reed stem pipe goes back at least until the early 19th century. I have a couple that go back to at least the 1830s. Reed stems are good smokers.
I smoke a mersheam where ever I am, they are fragile however. I think they are the best smokers.
As you learn to smoke a pipe you will learn the by experience how to light it and keep it lit.
You may find after a bit of smoking if your wife is on the porch with you she may get to like it, and preety soon your house will have the rich smell of pipe...not ciggerett...tobacco

tenngun said:
The reed stem pipe goes back at least until the early 19th century. I have a couple that go back to at least the 1830s. Reed stems are good smokers.
I smoke a mersheam where ever I am, they are fragile however. I think they are the best smokers.
As you learn to smoke a pipe you will learn the by experience how to light it and keep it lit.
You may find after a bit of smoking if your wife is on the porch with you she may get to like it, and preety soon your house will have the rich smell of pipe...not ciggerett...tobacco

I bought a set of pipes from an auction on ebay and the pipe I really wanted was the clay bowl with the reed stem. It's on its way to me and should arrive in a day or two. Until then, I'm enjoying my briar pipe and breaking it in. I don't fill the bowl up with much tobacco, but It's enough to get about 10 or 15 minutes of smoking out of. It's getting better at staying lit. I just need to get the pipe broken in and I believe that will help.

I am hoping that the wife will think it's not a bad smell. The blend of tobacco I bought has a very nice smell to it. Unlike the cigars I enjoy.I can understand her not wanting me to light off a dog rocket in the house, but the pipe is a nice smell to it. Even my son has commented that it's a sweet smell like an incense. I'll keep my fingers crossed. I'm going to take some of my bonus money that my company will give me in March and build a nice deck so I can sit and enjoy my pipe and cigars. I think that'll give her an opportunity to see what my pipe smells like. :thumbsup:

By the way, I grew up with parents that smoked and I agree, cigarette smoke is the foulest smelling of all types of smoking.

Your brier will start to get wet if you smoke it to often. Briers should be left a couple of days tween smokes. After you get it broke in its easier to keep lit if it's all the way full. 1/2 a pipe is a pia to keep going. Clays can just be wiped out as they absorbed little fluid. Three brief are about the minimum for a dayly smoke, two Clays are plenty 20 pipes isn't enough😄

Mountainman56 said:
Vomir le Chien said:

Ain't that the truth! I have cut down on some of my bad habits and the smoking thing is almost not existent anymore........however I still enjoy a good cigar. If it shortens my life...so be it. A wise man once said; "Life isn't about the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take our breath away"

Cigars take my breath away.....literally :rotf:
My doctor told me I had to give up wine, women and song... so far I've stopped singing. :grin:

tenngun said:
Your brier will start to get wet if you smoke it to often. Briers should be left a couple of days tween smokes. After you get it broke in its easier to keep lit if it's all the way full. 1/2 a pipe is a pia to keep going. Clays can just be wiped out as they absorbed little fluid. Three brief are about the minimum for a dayly smoke, two Clays are plenty 20 pipes isn't enough😄

Well, I get a rare chance now and then to smoke it so I don't see a problem with smoking it too often. I'll try to load it up with more tobacco and see if it stays lit better.

I got my two clay pipes yesterday. Dang they are nice. The one clay is very nice. It has a yellow mouth area that seems to keep me from tasting the clay. It also has ships cast into the bowl area. It's a keeper. The second one is my favorite already. It's a clay bowl with a long reed type stem. The stem is about 10 inches long and feels good in the mouth. I'll start to alternate my pipes so they all get broken in together. I figure with the clay pipes I'll hold them by the stem when smoking since the bowl gets hot. I don't need burnt fingers. :wink:

So far, you gents have been giving me some good advice and I'm enjoying my pipe smoking experiences. Thank you very much. :hatsoff:

Well, I do tamp it down, but probably not enough pressure to compress it much. What is the proper way to tamp it and how much pressure should I use?

That's a hard question to answer. I tamp mine down with an empty .30-30 shell most of the time. Beside my chair at home is an old blacksmith-made nail that is just right for tamping and probing at the ashes. Tamp just hard enough so the tobacco still stays alite and resists the draw a bit. Most tobacco stores carry pipe nails. Use plenty of pipe cleaners to keep the channel clear and dry. graybeard

Back