• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

chronograph

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elkeater

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Does anyone else use one? I find it helpful to find consistent/accurate charge. Then putting the velocity into a ballistic formula gives the trajectory.

More helpful to shooters in the great wide open.

I use one. I find them useful to show velocity for trajectory calculations and also for showing the consistency of a shot string.
They can be a nuisance to use because of all the garbage that flies out of the barrel, but I find them helpful in working up an initial load.

Spence

Same here. I used to use a friends chrono when I was competing in Sillywett. Never saw a need for one after that.

Ive only ever done it once, and that was because the guy on the bench next to me at the range said yes when I asked. I dont own one; YET..

They are helpful. But, they are of far greater value with modern centerfire guns than traditional ML'ers. With ML'ers, and particularly round ball, trajectories tend to rainbow after about 125 yards, making range estimation the far greater limiting factor to accurate long range shooting beyond that distance (particularly with RB's).

For hunting purposes what you're most concerned with is; "will the projectile be able to do its' job at this distance'? An additional item to think about is, beyond about 150 yards, most of us aren't able to use iron sights very well on critter sized targets smaller than a woolly rhino. It is the rare traditional ML'er that wears optical sights, though certainly there are exceptions (like the Whitworth).

I've owned an Oehler chrono and skyscreens for 20 years. I used it religeously with my suppository guns. I have yet to use it with some of my MLs but have "chronoed" a few. Being simply the curious sort I find it very interesting to check out velocities and the effect of different lubes/patches/ball sizes.

Couple weeks ago at the range wind was blowing strong cross wise, so I used the chrono and played with different charges. Found a charge that gave faster and more consistent velocity.

I bet next range time will prove the new charge more accurate as well. If the wind is kinder.

I use one. Got it mainly for suppository reloading where a chronograph can help identify dangerous pressure spikes.

For blackpowder I find it useful to identify that point of diminishing returns. Sure the extra 10 grains of BP might recoil more and make a louder boom, but over the chronograph you may be disappointed.

I like to experiment and make my own bullet molds -conicals, PP & GG. Chrono allows BC of bullet to be calculated.
Previous chrono got hit by a felt wad out of a double rifle at 10' - busted the front cover.
I bought a LabRadar last year and really like it. I am not sure it will work with a RB patch as it may pick it up?

Chronographs can be had for a quite reasonable cost these days, and I think they are a fun thing to have around. I've learned a few new things from my chronograph. Some surprises have arisen!

I smacked the readout screen on my 90's vintage Chrony with a patch. Sent it to the maker and they repaired it for a reasonable price. They also had plexiglass screen covers available and haven't had any more problems.

You need to get it a little further from the muzzle than with a suppository gun.

They are fun to play with and even though it tells me many things I don't tend to listen much.

I bought one years ago when I started to get serious about target shooting. I found it useful for testing different powders for consistency. But I haven't used it in years, since I soon discovered group size was more important to me than actual velocity. :idunno: :idunno:

I use mine all the time and after three repairs built a deflector in front of it.

Before that with 2 modern I shot right thru it. Company replaced and fixed free every time I sent it in so I made the deflector as I did not want the embarrassment.

I've had one for over 30 years. I like to know the velocity of a round when it's being shot. Have used it for load development on center fire cartridges. I haven't used it with a muzzle loader yet but I am very curious as to the velocities of the bullets being shot out of them. I'll probably shoot one or two shots from each muzzle loader using the load I have for each and not use it again for them. The chronograph can be a useful tool but probably not so much on black powder guns.

I bought mine for cf rifles; found that a more consistent velocity round gave tighter groups. So why not the same for our smoke poles? Have not confirmed that yet.

Trouble is I don't tend to shoot ml from the bench. Mostly from hunting positions.

One thing I found was that ml guns are far more consistent than smokeless guns. If a ml gun is showing large velocity SD's and extreme spreads something is inconsistent with the loading procedure.

Back