• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Chopped Flintlocks. How early?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any body for any reason can write something and it becomes more real than the actual object ?
If on can percieve being on the moon and writed about it , the it is real. At least to him.
Are we getting into the third eye realm here ?
I for one am a bit more pragmatic,but will say there are possibilities one way or the other. quantum physics anyone ?

Blitz
There are literally reams of paper that have been devoted to trade guns that not only detail the written accounts but also the hundreds of originals that still remain and are often enough dated right on the plates. This is getting to the point of being plane dumb.

Clark you can contact Fort Michimacinau (sp) State park in Michigan. They have all the information. Plus you can go their an see it for yourself.
The gun was recovered in Traverse Bay near Petosky Michigan.
The Fort does historical reenactments every August. It is a fun time indeed...!!

in the gunsmith of Grenvile county he did a introduction on the rifes.He did go into the short rifles and from what he found there were a lot of thease used.Of couse there were the smooth bores and even rifles as well,so there were short guns smooth and rifles,George washinton has fifty bucks county style made for Hands calavary,,there were not real short but all were .50 caliber and 38 inch lonf barrels ,the officers were a bit fancy wood and had pathboxes dont know if all had that ,,but they had them,,all i know!!haha!!
I have this book by Peter Alexander I believe. Alexander was a master gunsmith, proven,vetted considered one of the best. I would say his credentials are outstanding and his research accepted widely accepted and used, more so than that of self imposed forum experts. imho. If Peter Alexander said there were short rifles/smoothbores, then there were.

Tomatoes were poisonous when eaten off a lead pewter plate.
Still are. Not many lead containing tableware pieces around in use anymore for that reason. Lead is soluble in acid but not in alkali. Lemons and limes would have the same toxicity problem. Lead is corroded by exposure to vinegar vapors and air. That is how they used to make white lead for paint pigment.

My mother who died about 10 years ago at age 87, never ate anything in her life that contained any tomato products as she believed that tomatoes were poison. She was born and raised here in North Carolina.
Tomatoes used to be considered poisonous because they are closely related to the 'deadly nightshade' plant (Atropa belladonna). Then it was found that while deadly nightshade contains the toxin 'atropine', it is not found in tomatoes. Tomatoes may have small amounts of other things like solanine and lectins which may be troublesome for some people, but apparently not for most.

Raw tomatoes were thought to be poisonous. Cooked were fine.
A difference between raw and cooked toxicity would be due to a class of proteins called lectins. A good example is red kidney beans. Soaked and uncooked, they will make you sick enough to remember the experience. Thoroughly cooked, they are mostly no problem because of the way cooking changes proteins.

Clark you can contact Fort Michimacinau (sp) State park in Michigan. They have all the information. Plus you can go their an see it for yourself.
The gun was recovered in Traverse Bay near Petosky Michigan.
The Fort does historical reenactments every August. It is a fun time indeed...!!
Pulling a gun from a body of water does not in any way determine when it was made. It has already been established that short barreled trade guns were made. That is recorded fact. That gun could have been made anywhere between the first quarter of the 19th century to the 1890s. And it has nothing to do with chopped guns.

I have this book by Peter Alexander I believe. Alexander was a master gunsmith, proven,vetted considered one of the best. I would say his credentials are outstanding and his research accepted widely accepted and used, more so than that of self imposed forum experts. imho. If Peter Alexander said there were short rifles/smoothbores, then there were.
Alexander is a drunken knuckle head.

Any body for any reason can write something and it becomes more real than the actual object ?
If on can percieve being on the moon and writed about it , the it is real. At least to him.
I for one am a bit more pragmatic,but will say there are possibilities one way or the other. quantum physics anyone ?

Blitz
:rolleyes: I'm done now. Have fun boys.

Once again I ask…..what is the obsession with canoe guns, blanket guns, etc? I don’t get it?
5 pages so far, and we arrive at the same place we always do.
Peter Alexander said, so it must be right. Well, the internet says, so it must be right.
Why is this so important?

Just to stir the pot. Their was a trade gun recovered from Traverse Bay in Northern Michigan. That just might throw a wrench into all this debate.
We also have to remember our knowledge is based on surviving examples. Last but not least you can write anything in a book. Doesn't mean it's 100% accurate. It's only the interpretation of the writer or his knowledge at the time...JMHO
Our knowledge is not just based on surviving examples. Many survivors could have been modified during their period of use. Many, unfortunately a great many have been modified or restored more recently.
The Shrieck * Rifle has been continuously modified since the 18th Century.
That rifle has been so modified that who knows what it’s original configuration was.

"Their was a trade gun recovered from Traverse Bay in Northern Michigan, please explain more what this means or why it is important. thanks??

It means a relic was found with a “short” barrel in Michigan.
I have to ask,
What about all the long barreled guns found in rivers, wrecks and graves?
My information comes directly from old period records, not some old relic in the bottom of a lake.
Yep
in the gunsmith of Grenvile county he did a introduction on the rifes.He did go into the short rifles and from what he found there were a lot of thease used.Of couse there were the smooth bores and even rifles as well,so there were short guns smooth and rifles,George washinton has fifty bucks county style made for Hands calavary,,there were not real short but all were .50 caliber and 38 inch lonf barrels ,the officers were a bit fancy wood and had pathboxes dont know if all had that ,,but they had them,,all i know!!haha!!
I read through that.
Pete is all over the place. He starts with saying Continental Early German guns can
have very long barrels, implying that the long barreled Longrifle is not unique.
He also states later that short-barrels were “ common” early on in the colonies.
He uses examples like this from period documents.....
Lost....One German Rifle with a 2’ barrel.
Trade list.....One dozen rifles with 4’ barrels.
A rifle made with a 41” barrel.
Hmmmm.
Just from above from his own sources, there’s one short barred rifle and 13 long barreled rifles. 12 of these have 48” barrels.
^^^
Going just by this info we can conclude that the 24” barreled rifle is the anomaly or less common.
Pete goes on with this very profound statements....
“On the other hand, the rifles used by or intended for Indians were inclined to have long barrels. This is perfectly logical as the Indian was used to a long barreled trade gun”.
Later on....
“Since the Indian was used to a long barreled gun, I believe they demanded long barreled rifles from gunsmiths.”

Pete also makes it clear that this is his opinion.
He uses terms like may, like, likely.....
Again he is all over the place.
Obviously you missed the part about people writing articles back then.
But the gun has been determined that the barrel wasn't cut off. The barrel was 29 1/2 inches. Also it was carefully studied by experts with far more knowledge than most of us.
Also I have seen the gun and an exact copy of it is at the Fort in Mackinac City. Last I never have had the thought that just because I haven't seen it. It doesn't exist. But to each their own...
How do they know it was not cut off?
I curios, how do they know this?
Do they have documentation from the manufacturer, the shipper, the trader?
How can you tell from a relic gun if it was made that was or shortened by a gunsmith in it’s period of use?
Do records happen to be more real than an actual pirearm ?
Very interesting !

Blitz
Yes if the survivor has been modified or mistakenly dated.

Blitz
I’m not into all that devil stuff and I do not understand how the reference applies.
We are not talking about opinion pieces or made up stories that could date to that time, we are talking hard data from factories, shippers, traders and descriptions of lost guns or guns for sale.
Again, not opinion pieces or stories.
He’s all over the place.
What he really said pretty much agrees with Mike.
Pulling a gun from a body of water does not in any way determine when it was made. It has already been established that short barreled trade guns were made. That is recorded fact. That gun could have been made anywhere between the first quarter of the 19th century to the 1890s. And it has nothing to do with chopped guns.
Yep....
Period of use.
Misidentification
Modifications
Restorations

From this discussion we can deduce that long barreled trade guns were the norm and that’s straight from Alexander’s writing.

Our knowledge is not just based on surviving examples. Many survivors could have been modified during their period of use. Many, unfortunately a great many have been modified or restored more recently.
The Shrieck * Rifle has been continuously modified since the 18th Century.
That rifle has been so modified that who knows what it’s original configuration was.

"Their was a trade gun recovered from Traverse Bay in Northern Michigan, please explain more what this means or why it is important. thanks??

It means a relic was found with a “short” barrel in Michigan.
I have to ask,
What about all the long barreled guns found in rivers, wrecks and graves?

Yep

I read through that.
Pete is all over the place. He starts with saying Continental Early German guns can
have very long barrels, implying that the long barreled Longrifle is not unique.
He also states later that short-barrels were “ common” early on in the colonies.
He uses examples like this from period documents.....
Lost....One German Rifle with a 2’ barrel.
Trade list.....One dozen rifles with 4’ barrels.
A rifle made with a 41” barrel.
Hmmmm.
Just from above from his own sources, there’s one short barred rifle and 13 long barreled rifles. 12 of these have 48” barrels.
^^^
Going just by this info we can conclude that the 24” barreled rifle is the anomaly or less common.
Pete goes on with this very profound statements....
“On the other hand, the rifles used by or intended for Indians were inclined to have long barrels. This is perfectly logical as the Indian was used to a long barreled trade gun”.
Later on....
“Since the Indian was used to a long barreled gun, I believe they demanded long barreled rifles from gunsmiths.”

Pete also makes it clear that this is his opinion.
He uses terms like may, like, likely.....
Again he is all over the place.

How do they know it was not cut off?
I curios, how do they know this?
Do they have documentation from the manufacturer, the shipper, the trader?
How can you tell from a relic gun if it was made that was or shortened by a gunsmith in it’s period of use?

Yes if the survivor has been modified or mistakenly dated.

I’m not into all that devil stuff and I do not understand how the reference applies.
We are not talking about opinion pieces or made up stories that could date to that time, we are talking hard data from factories, shippers, traders and descriptions of lost guns or guns for sale.
Again, not opinion pieces or stories.

He’s all over the place.
What he really said pretty much agrees with Mike.

Yep....
Period of use.
Misidentification
Modifications
Restorations

From this discussion we can deduce that long barreled trade guns were the norm and that’s straight from Alexander’s writing.
Yes, I do not think that anyone is arguing that long barrels were the norm. I think the idea was brought up that there could also have been those with shorter barrels too. Which while not the norm, may have been more then we think? IMHO

Yes, I do not think that anyone is arguing that long barrels were the norm. I think the idea was brought up that there could also have been those with shorter barrels too. Which while not the norm, may have been more then we think? IMHO
Why would we think that? What is the real driver to justify short barreled trade guns in this thread? Wishful thinking?
If you're trying to fit your 30" barreled northwest gun into a 1750 gun forget it.

Why would we think that? What is the real driver to justify short barreled trade guns in this thread? Wishful thinking?
If you're trying to fit your 30" barreled northwest gun into a 1750 gun forget it.
Obviously you wouldn't. However, some of us like to think about what might have been? What other possibilities were there? It's not discounting the obvious predominance of long barrel firearms, it is just a "what if", which hurts no one IMHO.

Someone above asked for a book list on the subject. Here's a small sample. There's another stack out in my shop but I ain't going out there today. I suspect many of these ate out of publication. I'd spend the day pulling quotes out of these but I'm retired, not retarded.

Attachments

• 20240117_103430.jpg
    20240117_103430.jpg
    466 KB · Views: 0
  • 20240117_103355.jpg
    20240117_103355.jpg
    361.1 KB · Views: 0
Obviously you wouldn't. However, some of us like to think about what might have been? What other possibilities were there? It's not discounting the obvious predominance of long barrel firearms, it is just a "what if", which hurts no one IMHO.
Why bother with what if? It proves nothing.

Why bother with what if? It proves nothing.
Well, i was not trying to prove anything, I can't speak for others., I just enjoy the dialogue. However, with out people going "what if", lots of good and wonderful things in this world would have never happened?IMHO :thumb:

Back