• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Chopped Flintlocks. How early?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My mother who died about 10 years ago at age 87, never ate anything in her life that contained any tomato products as she believed that tomatoes were poison. She was born and raised here in North Carolina.
My step grandmother grew up in NC and ate tomatoes like crazy. She would have been in her early 100s now. You just never know what ideas will burrow themselves into peoples mind.

Just to stir the pot. Their was a trade gun recovered from Traverse Bay in Northern Michigan. That just might throw a wrench into all this debate.
We also have to remember our knowledge is based on surviving examples. Last but not least you can write anything in a book. Doesn't mean it's 100% accurate. It's only the interpretation of the writer or his knowledge at the time...JMHO

Just to stir the pot. Their was a trade gun recovered from Traverse Bay in Northern Michigan. That just might throw a wrench into all this debate.
We also have to remember our knowledge is based on surviving examples. Last but not least you can write anything in a book. Doesn't mean it's 100% accurate. It's only the interpretation of the writer or his knowledge at the time...JMHO
"Their was a trade gun recovered from Traverse Bay in Northern Michigan, please explain more what this means or why it is important. thanks??

My information comes directly from old period records, not some old relic in the bottom of a lake.

in the gunsmith of Grenvile county he did a introduction on the rifes.He did go into the short rifles and from what he found there were a lot of thease used.Of couse there were the smooth bores and even rifles as well,so there were short guns smooth and rifles,George washinton has fifty bucks county style made for Hands calavary,,there were not real short but all were .50 caliber and 38 inch lonf barrels ,the officers were a bit fancy wood and had pathboxes dont know if all had that ,,but they had them,,all i know!!haha!!

Obviously you missed the part about people writing articles back then.
But the gun has been determined that the barrel wasn't cut off. The barrel was 29 1/2 inches. Also it was carefully studied by experts with far more knowledge than most of us.
Also I have seen the gun and an exact copy of it is at the Fort in Mackinac City. Last I never have had the thought that just because I haven't seen it. It doesn't exist. But to each their own...

Obviously you missed the part about people writing articles back then.
But the gun has been determined that the barrel wasn't cut off. The barrel was 29 1/2 inches. Also it was carefully studied by experts with far more knowledge than most of us.
Also I have seen the gun and an exact copy of it is at the Fort in Mackinac City. Last I never have had the thought that just because I haven't seen it. It doesn't exist. But to each their own...
There were 30’ guns made. That has already been covered. Let’s see a reference for the article or even who wrote it.

But if others were short ?
is this not relevant to the discusion of shorter barreled fire arms smooth or rifled ?

Blitz

There were 30’ guns made. That has already been covered. Let’s see a reference for the article or even who wrote it.
Maybe they were made,,,, at a certain later period of time.
But the original question was about "chopping" existing guns of propper length.

In the 1680 to 1700 period, English trade guns were ordered for the Hudson Bay company with 54 and 60 barrels. They were ordered increasingly shorter for the next 100 years but it was a long process. By 1800 42 to 36 barrels eere becoming more common. By 1830 barrels 36 to 30 were more common.
i have never understood why everyone todsy is so hot to document short trade guns. They were quite rare in the 1700s.
There are some great books out there documenting all of this in detail year by year. You should go buy them.
I would appreciate a recommendation or two regarding such books.
Thanks,
George

Yep. Do you know anything at all about the subject?
Any body for any reason can write something and it becomes more real than the actual object ?
If on can percieve being on the moon and writed about it , the it is real. At least to him.
Are we getting into the third eye realm here ?
I for one am a bit more pragmatic,but will say there are possibilities one way or the other. quantum physics anyone ?

Blitz

Maybe they were made,,,, at a certain later period of time.
But the original question was about "chopping" existing guns of propper length.
That I know. It’s the other guy trying to point out that something that was known to be made was found and as if it’s some kind of news.

Last edited:
Back