• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

chicken livers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sidelock

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Anybody like chicken livers/gizzards? I love em but never get em. My wife is the meal planner in our home and she doesn't like em.

I like both.
If you make it into Missoula, the Desperado has battered deep-fried gizzards.

The livers I make at home - wrap with bacon, skewer with a toothpick and fry until done to your taste.

Both are big in the south. Churches, Chicken Express and Golden Chick all have batter fried livers and gizzards...which I call innards just to harass my Montana lady friend who thinks both are disgusting.

I LOVE gizzards. Makes very good Kung Pao chicken. And being a Highlander, they are dirt cheap which is good too. Ask the butcher or even the guys at the meat section of the store to save them up for you if they are having a chicken sale.

LD

I grew up eating chicken livers and gizzards and love them. They were really cheap and a great source of protein. My grandmother would fry them simply in butter then we would wrap one in a piece of warm buttered pita bread. (She called it Syrian bread. I was an adult before I ever heard it called pita bread.) Or serve them over rice. Washed down with some tea.

When we cook a roaster or turkey these days, the innards are MINE. They make a great breakfast.

OK, time to get to the grocery. I've got the taste.

When I make stock from chicken bones, I throw in the liver, heart and gizzards. The livers don't take long before they are eaten and the heart & gizzards get tender with the long simmer.

I buy them as cheap treats for my dogs. I fry them up and sometimes help myself to one or two. I've always been fond of liver, but usually use the liver from larger animals, with onions, for myself.

They are good catfish bait.

I always use the turkey innards to make giblet gravy for Thanksgiving.

Native Arizonan said:
I always use the turkey innards to make giblet gravy for Thanksgiving.
I'm all for it but the lady-friend and her family are skeptical...
I simmer the gizzard, neck, heart and liver with carrots, onion & celery to make the stock, eat the heart and liver and use the strained stock, chopped gizzard and neck meat in the gravy.

Quart of Deep Fried chicken livers and a bottle of Texas Pete I'am set for a meal.Gizzards NO to chewy for me.

Perhaps pressure-cooking the gizzards would soften them before battering and deep-frying. I know a long simmer makes them very tender.

necchi said:
Black Hand said:
chopped gizzard and neck meat in the gravy.
Meat in the Gravy? :idunno:
That's just plain wrong!!
They usually end up in the stuffing, but sometimes in gravy. I need to get them accustomed to the idea slowly...

Mrs Coot & I both like chicken livers. She will cook them in a fry pan and we eat them on crackers as an appetizer. There are some things that one of us won't eat or that smell up the house when cooking - that is when a restaurant comes in handy.

Where is Alden on this, Maybe stewed and served over grits. :wink: I like them fried in a cast iron skillet with onions and Texas Pete hot sauce, a side of fried taters, crusty bread sweet butter and a cold adult beverage. Tonight the lady of the house turned me loose in the kitchen, think Charleston S.C. style shrimp and grits is on the menu. R.C.

We love chicken livers and gizzards, but another favorite meal is boiled turkey necks and noodles. Old German dish! Cook the necks till the meat falls off the bones (discard bones) and throw meat back into the broth. Throw in some homemade noodles or your favorite packaged noodles and season with salt, pepper and a little garlic. Simmer till noodles are tender then scoop up a bowl full along with some good crusty bread and a cold beer. Heaven on a spoon! ......... drooooooool!
:thumbsup:

That is a good meal, although I didn't know it was a German dish. I don't care for livers and gizzards cooked by them selfs, however chopped up and boiled with neck and wing meat they make the best broth. I don't eat rice these days but at one time rice, or noodles or whole badly grains could be added to that broth for a fine meal.

When my Mother had her restaurant, chicken livers sautéed in butter and served on a hearty , thick toasted slice of bread was one of her big sellers. I continue w/ that and elevate my Mother's chicken livers to "gourmet status". Tried to improve on her chicken livers and all my attempts failed. Simple is better.

Gizzards not so much separately, but they do add to stuffing for roasted chickens or turkeys......Fred

I love chicken livers. The wife hates 'em and doesn't like it when I cook 'em at home, but the deli at the local grocery store fries 'em up real good. Sometimes I'll buy a half pound of 'em and eat 'em all before I even get home from the store.

Beef livers, pork livers and deer livers are also delicious.

Can't stand gizzards.

Latest posts

Back