• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cheek plate advice?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jerry Samouce

40 Cal
Reaction score
I have a question for you experienced types...

I own a Raffle Rifle... that was given away last month at the NC State flintlock championship....

It is a Southern Appalachian long rifle which historically has no carving (rats! I love carving) But I have found that some do have a "Man in the Moon" cheek plate.
So, I had one commissioned...

And here are the two options our local etcher guy made... which one should I use, to be accurate and cool at the same time?

The 2nd photo is an example I found online...
123_1.jpeg
Screenshot_20210926-212234_Google.jpg

Gorgeous rifles need at least one beautiful center piece that stands out. Of course the perfectly detailed engraving would be my choice. Top notch engraver and this would definitley turn heads for a second look...........Labrat

I don't think you could go wrong with either of your options. To me the more detailed on seems more fitting to the gun, that would be my choice.
Robby

Option 1

How were you able to talk Todd out of that rifle? This was the drawing held at LLR, right?
He he he he...
I have been staring at that rifle for almost 2 years...
Todd doesn't shoot rifles. And most of all, he was saving up for a new precision pistol and he was STILL $700 short...
He also had PayPal...
Quick and the dead my friend!
Quick and the Dead...

Last edited:

I own a Raffle Rifle... that was given away last month at the NC State flintlock championship....

It is a Southern Appalachian long rifle which historically has no carving (rats! I love carving) But I have found that some do have a "Man in the Moon" cheek plate.

And here are the two options our local etcher guy made... which one should I use, to be accurate and cool at the same time?

View attachment 98909View attachment 98908
My hillbilly family always said the horns must point up so your good luck doesn't spill out. Even on the outhouse doors.

Just to show off, here is my Mark Silver Virginia Rifle which I carved...

That is why this Southern Appalachian long rifle (in this post) is killing me. Out of all the rifles to get, THIS one was not ever carved... Rats, Bats and Flaming Cats!

My hillbilly family always said the horns must point up so your good luck doesn't spill out. Even on the outhouse doors.
Brilliant!
I knew that had to be the reason!
I just wasn't sure.

We where visiting TN recently and saw several moons on things out there. The horns where always up....

HuH! My practical Yankee progenitor's say it must face down to shower you with good fortune. I have placed them both ways and haven't noticed any appreciable difference. Aaaah, the Fates!
Robin

Amazing scroll work Jerry. This caught my eye seeing it on Utube & wondered who did that. Very busy and filling design. I love it. Engraving on the moon piece can be done before or after it is inlayed. Engravers choice. I prefer to engrave it on a block of wood in an engravers vise, flat & sitting down. More cotrol for me as an elderly person. If it is already inlayed it makes it difficult to turn the whole stock as you engrave the curves & circles. Sometimes you have to stand up & bend over to engrave. A little sanding won't hurt the engraving. Then again some engravers don't want any sanding over there work........Labrat

Awe yes it can be inlayed first then taken out and engraved. I'm just saying that it is much easier to engrave on a flat surface then form the piece & inlay. Slight forming won't disfigure the image. That would be my preference.

"Out of all the rifles to get, THIS one was not ever carved... Rats, Bats and Flaming Cats!"

At the end of the day you own a contemporary longrifle regardless of style or historical correctness. If you want to carve on it, carve it. Ain't nobody gonna turn their nose up at outstanding embellishment. I might, but only because your work is good and I don't have the patience for it (yet). Hook it up, bro. It's your rifle. Not a copy of a rifle. Make it yours. Unless you like copies, of course.

McCoy

Last edited:
"Out of all the rifles to get, THIS one was not ever carved... Rats, Bats and Flaming Cats!"

At the end of the day you own a contemporary longrifle regardless of style or historical correctness. If you want to carve on it, carve it. Ain't nobody gonna turn their nose up at outstanding embellishment. I might, but only because your work is good and I don't have the patience for it (yet). Hook it up, bro. It's your rifle. Not a copy of a rifle. Make it yours. Unless you like copies, of course.

McCoy
Interesting...hmmmmm....

Fired it for the first time today...
It shoots smooth as "Butta" and is deadly accurate! Seriously nerdy "Squeeeee"s over here!
FB_IMG_1635040498851.jpg

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1635040562253.jpg
    FB_IMG_1635040562253.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 27
While flat surfaces are certainly easier to engrave than concave or convex ones, the shaped pieces can be dealt with by taking a glob of Bondo on a wooden block, and then setting the piece in there. A heat gun or torch will release it when it's done. That's. a common way to engrave patch boxes.

Your inlay doesn't look all that flush, and it looks like your tools were somewhat dull--hence the tear-out around the upper left. With concave surfaces you need to "roll them in to position" during inletting. Otherwise, if you go straight down, it's easy to get a gap on the top edge. For purposes of engraving it off the gun, you COULD have use smalll #2 screws (maybe even # 4) to hold it down and the inlay flushed up, then removed for engraving.

View attachment 98909View attachment 98908

Back