• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Charleville 1777 round or sabot

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gianki

32 Cal
Reaction score
Question, I have a musket charleville cal.69 is it possible to use balls not round but sabot cal.12 or slug, maybe keeping the dose of powder lower?I would like to try such a thing for wild boar hunting

Attachments

• IMG20211229134258.jpg
    IMG20211229134258.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 58
Ok thanks, it was to have a precise shot over 50 meters, with the inaccuracy of 1777 I wanted to find a "modern" artifice to increase the range. I would hate to leave a wounded boar in the woods, which by the way would be even more dangerous

Get within range. An angry grizz or brown is pretty tough, but you throw a.662 ball through the chest of any other North American game you won’t need a second shot.
My TFC at twentyfive and
6BEB52A8-38DD-4EEB-8B2E-AD5B493F40EA.jpeg
fifty yards, your Charlie will do as well, and if your a better shot then me even better

Ok thanks, it was to have a precise shot over 50 meters, with the inaccuracy of 1777 I wanted to find a "modern" artifice to increase the range. I would hate to leave a wounded boar in the woods, which by the way would be even more dangerous

Don't worry we're not all triggered by words.

Not sure how accurate it will be but I've thought about doing similar in my smoothbore with a shotgun wad. I say give it a try 👍

Ok, the day after tomorrow I try, let's hope that I do not remain in my hands only the stock. But I carry my .58 for safety😉

Ok, the day after tomorrow I try, let's hope that I do not remain in my hands only the stock. But I carry my .58 for safety😉
Work up a few shots
.675 ball in a patch
.685 ball with a wad above and below
.665 ball in paper cartridge with some good thick paper that’s been greased
Try bigger powder charges
Try smaller. 120 grains ain’t to much

Your Charleville is .69 Basically 14ga , trying to fit any 12 ga .729 projectile or whatever would be a waste of time .
My Charleville 1777 is very accurate The bore is probably better than the original back in the day ,
I use to use a 70 gr FFg powder a card over powder then a ½" thick engineers felt wad , a.680 swaged round ball with a 10 thou patch dry lubed with 7/1 moose milk and another felt wad lubed damp with Ballistol moose milk on top.
I wipe after loading
Shooting it , I stack the barrel bands one on top of the other , center the foresight bead in the middle of the top band making sure the it is also lined up with the tang screw and win 50m competitions .
Personally I think the gun is too heavy to haul around the bush . A guy won the world MLAIC shotgun champs with a 1777 , so they can be used as a shotgun

Don't worry we're not all triggered by words.

Not sure how accurate it will be but I've thought about doing similar in my smoothbore with a shotgun wad. I say give it a try 👍
I don't believe anyone was triggered. But the motto here is "Keeping Tradition Alive". I've seen posts where people declare their love of traditional muzzleloading and then complain about the barrels being too long on their rifles and fowlers. I guess traditional means different things to different folks.

I don't believe anyone was triggered. But the motto here is "Keeping Tradition Alive". I've seen posts where people declare their love of traditional muzzleloading and then complain about the barrels being too long on their rifles and fowlers. I guess traditional means different things to different folks.

I agree it does mean different things to different folks.

To me a modern mountain man type is someone who will pack into the bush for a week or two at a time to hunt and explore and what have you irrespective of what they've stuffed down their barrel. It's not someone who's dresses the part, uses round balls but only on paper and all of this only at a faux rendezvous.

I agree it does mean different things to different folks.

To me a modern mountain man type is someone who will pack into the bush for a week or two at a time to hunt and explore and what have you irrespective of what they've stuffed down their barrel. It's not someone who's dresses the part, uses round balls but only on paper and all of this only at a faux rendezvous.
Two sides of a sport. You can go all bushcraftty and oldtimie, or go traditional as close as you can, and of course in between, like Freeze dried food in your tin pot.
Personally I find recreating what ‘they had’ as close as I can to be very satisfying. And we find when doing it the old ways worked very well.

I originally purchased my Charleville 1777 ano X musket for the sole purpose of competing in the Miquelet , (flintlock musket) competition, on a national and international level , not for re enactment or hunting . . It is only used for target shooting , not even gong shoots .Once I got the loads figured out it has never let me down .It is a target gun and a good one at that . I have other flintlocks for hunting and paper punching , trail walks etc.

Good morning everyone, abandoned the idea of the sabot, thanks for the advice, we have moved to the round, as it should be. Round .61 mold lyman generous patch greased there was bees and vaseline oil 50/50 with 85 grains of Swiss 2, doing so has improved so much but I have to work on it. For now in wild boarS I carry my 58 😉

Latest posts

Back