• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Charcoal gray Barrel/metal finish reference

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ADK Ephraim

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Anyone with a good reference or suggestions for achieving a charcoal or gray finish on a barrel/ other metal surfaces? I'm about to finish up a Tennessee rifle, but am not sure I want to go with the bare metal finish.

Gunsmithing Simplified No.3 Metal Treatment by
Kit Ravenshear. This pamphlet can be ordered through Dixie Gun Works or the Journal of Historical Armsmaking Technology Volume V from the N.M.L.R.A. both have references to charcoal bluing and other bluing methods.
Good Luck and send pictures when you are finished with the rifle.
BPWRL

MJWayne:

Try Birchwood Casey Brass Black on steel. Finish and degrease the metal, apply brass black, wait 60 seconds, scrub off with water and 0000 steel wool. Leaves a nice dark gray finish. Top with corrosionX and away you go. Try it on some scrap steel to see what kind of finish you want. I bead blasted the part then applied the finish. Any machine shop will bead blast (glass beads) your parts for a nominal fee. Took me a total fo 15 min for a 1/2 dozen parts (tool room has a blast cabinet - supervisor let me use it for free).

Mike

That is a trick that I have not heard of yet. Thanks for the tip. I'll have to buy some brass black and try that.

Sounds like something to test out. When you wash the black, should you use warm or hot water? Thanks for the suggestions!!

MJWayne:

I used cold water and 0000 steel wool. Keep the metal wet with the Brass Black for at least 60 seconds, turns dead black. A rub with lots of cold water gives you a dark grey. My cast butt plate came out darker than I liked so I did the wash with soft scrub (the one with bleach in it). Do that quick, I tried the same trick on my nose cap,let it sit too long (the bleach) and it pitted the surface, had to re-polish (not a big deal). As I said, get some bar stock from the H/W store and practice first - although a re-polish is not all that hard. Also, try the bead blast finish, that came from the book TOTW recommended. Gives a nice finish for either browning or gray.

Mike

Back